cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to make lines show up thinner when exporting drawing as a PDF in a Net Based Creo Parametric?

ptc-5280226
1-Newbie

How to make lines show up thinner when exporting drawing as a PDF in a Net Based Creo Parametric?

Hello,

I am using a Net Based Creo Parametric 2.0. When I export an engineering drawing to a PDF file, the resulting lines are too thick, and obscure some of the fine details. I have attempted to follow what others have written, which have to do with including pentable files in the working directory and/or modifying the config.pro file, and checking the "Use Pentable" box in the export dialog box. However, (1) there is no pentable.pnt file in my working directory, and when I create one (opening a notepad text file, copying some suggested block of code like the one below into it:

pen 1 thickness 0.003 in

pen 2 thickness 0.005 in

etc.

and finally saving it as a .pnt file), I can't reopen the resulting .pnt file; I get an error that says "can't open because file is corrupt." (2) I have tried to copy certain blocks of code into the config file but to no avail.

If someone would be so kind, what I seek is a clear, step-by-step explanation of everything I need to do to get a PDF with thin black lines from a drawing, including any blocks of code if necessary, the proper way to create any files, what folders to put them in, etc.

Basically a "getting thinner lines for dummies"

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is a good beginning, Michael.

The issue with "corrupt file" is probably that the table.pnt is linked to an application that cannot read text files. If you can make wordpad or notepad read .pnt files (open with) by default, this should solve this... unless - this is a protected folder.

If the experiment worked, you would have gotten what you expected. Since you didn't, something else is at work here.

Let's see where we go next:

What does your desktop shortcut say/show when you edit it's properties?

notes:

The network loaction appears to be <drive>:\CreoNB\pro_dir

config.pro and table.pen are in this folderpro_dir also your

Is pro_dir also your working folder?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I think you read a few of my previous posts on this subject.

I know this thread will get corrupted by all the other recommendations with 10 different directions in a hurry so again, try this first:

Put the attached file in your working folder. (table.pnt)

Use the Save-As Export PDF and set the "use pen table" option manually

Check the Stroke All Fonts... just to cover all basis

See if this -at least- will give you something in the direction you are looking for.

After that, we can look at tweaking it.

I don't have any pen table settings in my config.pro. This is what, according to the help files, the PDF save-as option is looking for.

FYI, this is what is in the attached table.pnt

! All pens are set to .005 in this file. This is a basic setting.

! To vary thickness, tweak individual values for different pens.

!

! Other options are available. Refer to documentation on "pen table files"

!

!

!

pen 1 thickness .002 in

pen 2 thickness .002 in

pen 3 thickness .002 in

pen 4 thickness .002 in

pen 5 thickness .002 in

pen 6 thickness .002 in

pen 7 thickness .002 in

pen 8 thickness .002 in

...and welcome to the forum!

See also below:

what_i_am_looking_for_2.PNGwhat_i_get_2.PNG

If those are sketched lines in a drawing, you can assign a different line style to them. Most common for thin lines is to assign the Leader style. This is not the only way, but iss probably the easierst and most reliable way. The same is true if you need centerline or phantom fonts for sketched lines on drawings.

Thank you for your response and for welcoming me. I really appreciate it.

I attempted the directions above:

(1) My net based Creo comes with a folder called CreoNB. Inside this folder, there is a folder called pro_dir (I'm assuming pro directory). In THAT folder is where my config.pro file is and is where I put the file table.pnt that you gave me. (Note: after putting table.pnt into this folder and attempting to open it, I could not and got an error message which says: couldn't display "table.pnt" because it is corrupted. I don't know if this is an issue...)

(2) I used save-as export PDF, set "use pen table" manually, and checked Stroke All Fonts

I didn't get what I was looking for. See attached (or below) images of what I am looking for and what I get after following these instruction.

I know that what I am looking for can be achieved because I have seen PDFs from drawings that are as clear as in the attached picture.

Thank you for your help and hopefully we can find a solution to this.

what_i_am_looking_for.PNGwhat_i_get_after_these_instructions.PNGMichael

This is a good beginning, Michael.

The issue with "corrupt file" is probably that the table.pnt is linked to an application that cannot read text files. If you can make wordpad or notepad read .pnt files (open with) by default, this should solve this... unless - this is a protected folder.

If the experiment worked, you would have gotten what you expected. Since you didn't, something else is at work here.

Let's see where we go next:

What does your desktop shortcut say/show when you edit it's properties?

notes:

The network loaction appears to be <drive>:\CreoNB\pro_dir

config.pro and table.pen are in this folderpro_dir also your

Is pro_dir also your working folder?

I followed your suggestions and I was able to produce a product of the quality I was looking for. Thank you. The issue was with the table.pnt file not being opened with notepad. Once I enabled this, and put my drawing files in the same folder as table.pnt, AND did what you told me to do before, everything worked out. Thanks again.

Very good. ...and glad I could help.

There are a few steps to help automate this process if you want to use a common pen table on a default basis. This takes a bit more setup but it will work. There are many threads on this very subject, often 2 or 3 at the same time. Feel free to awaken any of those you find helpful.

Since I am not the foremost expert on setting this up fully (such that -any- PDF printing function will be consistent) I will let others help you there if this is what you are after in the longrun.

Have a great day!

Top Tags