cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Importing Solidworks models into Creo

cmcdonald
2-Guest

Importing Solidworks models into Creo

Is there a way to import a Solidworks model into Creo or can someone recommend a free file convertor which would convert this model into a useable file format?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Calum,

Which version of Creo you are working with?

Creo 3.0 can import SW models directly.

Mahesh,

Unfortunately I am only using Creo 2.0.

Install SW explore from installation CD of solidworks. If you don't have CD for SW try looking for free download of SW explorer.

Additional info:

1.]

32-bit version of Solidworks Explorer can be downloaded from Internet.

It can be used in combination with CR2 32-bit, only.

2.]

64-bit version of Solidworks Explorer is available on Solidworks installation DVD, only.

It can be used in combination with CR2 64-bit, only.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

I did wonder about this as I tried to download Solidworks Explorer from the internet but I got an error message when I tried to install it onto my computer.

Calum,

if I remember it well I tested Solidworks Explorer 2014 SP4 32-bit in June 2014 with Creo Parametric 2.0 on Windows 7 64-bit successfully. I downloaded Solidworks Explorer from Service Packs, Simulation, PDM, 3DVIA Products, SOLIDWORKS Viewer, Free CAD Tools Downloads | Windows, Mac, Linux | SOL… page. Now there is Solidworks Explorer 2014 SP5 32-bit available on this page.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

I have managed to install Solidworks Explorer and I can now view an image of the part but it won't allow me to do anything with it. Is there a way to save this file as a different file type so that I can open it in Creo?

Cheers,

Calum

Calum,

if you have installed 32-bit version of Solidworks Explorer, you have to install 32-bit version of Creo Parametric 2.0. Do you have this "software combination" installed on your computer ?

If your answer is YES, then simply run 32-bit version of Creo Parametric 2.0, click File > Open, change filter to *.* to see all files, select SLDPRT and open it.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Calum,

Did you manage to import Solidworks files?

Mahesh,

Unfortunately I could not download the 64-bit version of Solidworks Explorer and therefore could not import the Solidworks files. However, I did receive a .stp file version of the part from the manufacturer and have since not looked at importing the Solidworks file.

Top Tags