cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Instructions on Borrowing a Creo License

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Instructions on Borrowing a Creo License

I'm wondering if anyone has instructions on how to borrow a license with being able to return them early.  I'm looking at the PTC help site and there seems to be a couple of things that are needed but I was hoping someone had the setup in a step by step format.

Thank you,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You will need to change 2 settings on the server.xml file.
licenseServer adminOnly="false"
licenseReclaimAllowed="true"

On the computer that will borrow add the following user environment variables:
lm_borrow_duration 14
pro_allow_early_return true

To add environment variables go to the system properties in control panel.  On the left side pick advanced system properties.  From there toward the bottom click Environment Variables.  Click new and add the two variables. 

You can now borrow a license.

To return you will need run ptcstatus to see what license has been checked out.

In command prompt change to your creo install directory \\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj directory. 

You will then run lmutil to return. 

lmutil lmborrow -return -c "server" "license"

example:

lmutil lmborrow -return -c 7788@license_server PROE_DesignEss

I made a batch script for each one of my license types as each user borrows different types depending on availability.  The batch scripts are on the desktop and the user needs only to verify what license they have borrowed.

Below are examples of two types. 

cd C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 6.0.1.0\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj

lmutil lmborrow -return -c 7788@license_server PROE_EssentialsM

Change the install directory to your version and the license_server to your server name.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

You will need to change 2 settings on the server.xml file.
licenseServer adminOnly="false"
licenseReclaimAllowed="true"

On the computer that will borrow add the following user environment variables:
lm_borrow_duration 14
pro_allow_early_return true

To add environment variables go to the system properties in control panel.  On the left side pick advanced system properties.  From there toward the bottom click Environment Variables.  Click new and add the two variables. 

You can now borrow a license.

To return you will need run ptcstatus to see what license has been checked out.

In command prompt change to your creo install directory \\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj directory. 

You will then run lmutil to return. 

lmutil lmborrow -return -c "server" "license"

example:

I made a batch script for each one of my license types as each user borrows different types depending on availability.  The batch scripts are on the desktop and the user needs only to verify what license they have borrowed.

Below are examples of two types. 

lmutil lmborrow -return -c 7788@license_server PROE_EssentialsM

Change the install directory to your version and the license_server to your server name.

@mtroudt-2  For the variable lm_borrow_duration 14 I am assuming that 14 is days so I can set it to what I need?  Like 30 would be 30 days.  I haven't tried it yet because I have to stop and restart my license server service to make the changes to the xml file that you mentioned, but this just borrows automatically without the popup coming up, correct?

Thank you,

Brian

You can borrow more.  I set the default at 14.  I think as long as you set the variable you can adjust it higher.   If i recall without setting the variable you are limited to 5 days.

@mtroudt-2 I have to run the parametric_borrow.bat file correct? Or can I borrow a license without running that?  I'm only asking because 4 licenses popup when I run that and I do not know which one corresponds to which one.

Thank you,

Brian

Correct you have to run ptcborrow.  Sounds like you are configured for 4 different license types.

@BrianToussaint wrote:

@mtroudt-2 I have to run the parametric_borrow.bat file correct? Or can I borrow a license without running that?  I'm only asking because 4 licenses popup when I run that and I do not know which one corresponds to which one.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi,

1.]

YES, launching parametric_borrow.bat is the simplest way for borrowing a license.

2.]

In my case I add two lines (2nd and 3rd line) into parametric_borrow.bat file ... see below.

@echo off
set PRO_LANG=english
set LM_BORROW_DURATION=14
set MC=unset

set PRO_LANG=english is necessary in non-english environment. It forces Creo to start in English environment.

set LM_BORROW_DURATION=22 is default borrow period ... you will see this number in dialog box displayed after starting parametric_borrow.bat

3.]

Your "4 licenses popup" problem ...

Go to Parametric\bin subdirectory in Creo installation, open your 4 psf files and enter appropriate identification string into 4th line, for example:

DESC=Creo PROE_DesignEss license

in case that psf file contains line

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_DesignEss ()

Martin Hanák

I've got the borrow part down now.  However when I unplugged my computer, Creo will not launch.  Do I use the normal parametric.bat to launch?  I've modified my shortcut to point locally to my local install now.

I forgot to change my parametric.bat file to point locally, it was still pointing to the server.

So I tried to remove the license borrow with this command...

lmutil lmborrow -return 7788@<my_license_server> PROE_EssentialsM

and get this error.....

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2017 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
lmborrow: Cannot find license file. (-1,359:2 "No such file or directory")

Sorry, my bad again..... I missed the -c

Time constraints make for missing things easy....

Thank you to @MartinHanak @mtroudt-2 @Mahesh_Sharma  for your help.  I really do appreciate it.

@BrianToussaint wrote:

I've got the borrow part down now.  However when I unplugged my computer, Creo will not launch.  Do I use the normal parametric.bat to launch?  I've modified my shortcut to point locally to my local install now.

Hi,

1.]

Borrowing procedure:

> launch parametric_borrow.bat

> select specific license if several psf files exist

> set borrow period, i.e. number of days

> click OK

> wait until Creo window opens

> end Creo session

2.]

YES, when license is borrowed, user will start Creo using normal shortcut pointing to parametric.exe -OR- by normal parametric.bat. No specific action is necessary.

3.]

It looks like you did not read my 2014-07-09a_NAVOD_CR2_FLEXnet_BORROW---dulezite_informace.docx documents. I translated it and uploaded as User_guide_CR2_FLEXnet_BORROW---important_information.docx.

Martin Hanák

@BrianToussaint

Set LM_BORROW_DURATION=N where N can be required number of days

• For desktop perpetual license N can be  ≤ 29*
  • For desktop subscription license N can be  ≤ 179*

Check article https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS240100  OR  https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS34737

@Mahesh_Sharma The first article doesn't open.

@BrianToussaint wrote:

@Mahesh_Sharma The first article doesn't open.

Correct link follows

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS240100 

Martin Hanák

@BrianToussaint

Details about borrowing license are in article CS29618 and about returning license refer article CS31332

Hi,

I uploaded a couple of Word documents. They are written in Czech language ... you can use https://translate.google.com/ to translate texts into English.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags