cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Is there a way to save all .PRT files in a directory to .STEP files short of doing each one individually?

manderson-3
1-Newbie

Is there a way to save all .PRT files in a directory to .STEP files short of doing each one individually?

In order to communicate with an external program, I am needing to send out .STEP files.  This would not be a problem for one or two parts but when I have an assembly with several hundred saving each part individually will be very time consuming.  Is there a way to get around this short of buying yet another program as a go between?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:manderson-3)

When you save an assembly you have the option of either saving all the parts as a single file or saving each file separately.  Generally a single STEP file for the entire assembly should be sufficient, but if you really need separate files, Creo will gladly create them.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:manderson-3)

For this specific case, I second Tom's suggestion.  For the general case of batched operations (generally export or print, but could be other things) on a large number of files, see https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS139340 for information on batch mode.  You could also contemplate constructing a trail file, by doing

File>Open>part1, Export it, Close Window, Erase Not Displayed

then taking the output trail.txt from that, extracting the part that is the action (as opposed to the trail header), and do a shell script using foreach and sed and cat >> to make a big trail file that does each part in turn.

Hi Matt,

Did you get the answer of your query from any of the above replies to post? Reply from Tom and Matt has relevant information for your question.

Top Tags