cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Issue with long saving time.

ptc-4644461
1-Newbie

Issue with long saving time.

Hi all,

I am having a problem with long save time when I create a part for the first time all other save after I have created the part are fine with no delays . I don’t believe this issue as anything to do with my computer as I don’t have problems with any other CAD program on my computer.

I feel this is a problem with ProE.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UPDATE

The issues was solved pro/e was searching locations on our US server I copied over files to UK server and edit the config.pro to reference the UK files only.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Mark,

It's the same way for me. When I create a new part it can take up to 2 minutes before I can start working with it. It's not always this way though. I'd say it happens about 75% of the time. While I'm waiting my computer is hitting the hard drive really hard. I don't think it's my system, which implies it's the software. I'm using Wildfire 5.0, M060. It is possible that the start files we are using have some bug stuck in them that causes this to happen. My start files are based on start models from Wildfire 3.0 I think.

Tim

P.S. I know this isn't advice or anything that will help. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone out there.

Do you have a long search.pro? I suspect that the long first save time may be because Pro/E is checking that no other file exists with the same name (although I believe it also checks that when you first start the new part).

Please post your version and if you are using Windchill. In Creo 2.0 M030, saving a new part is very fast.

Hi all,

My Version is Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0 M010, I don't think I have Windchill.

"Do you have a long search.pro?" Can you please tell me more about this, where can I find it or turn it off.

search.pro is a list of directories that Pro/E will look in to find a part or drawing.

It's typically called up by a line in config.pro such as:

search_path_file z:\defaults\search.pro

and then search.pro itself is simply a list of directories:

z:\project1

z:\project1\clientdata

z:\project2

z:\project3

z:\standard-parts

etc.

If search.pro gets particularly long, it can slow Pro/E down on certain operations (such as rename) because it has to look through every single directory listed before it's sure that the name doesn't already exist somewhere else.

It's extremely useful if you're working without Windchill, but needs keeping tidy.

I don't think it's the search path. My search path only has two directories in it.

UPDATE

The issues was solved pro/e was searching locations on our US server I copied over files to UK server and edit the config.pro to reference the UK files only.

Top Tags