cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Load Parts in Saved Position

agracia
7-Bedrock

Load Parts in Saved Position

We have a global work plane that we use to keep everything in the right position/orientation, but sometimes when we load parts that have been saved in the correct spot, they load in the wrong place.  We thought maybe it has to do with a setting for loading parts, but we didn't have much luck looking through the settings. Any idea why this might happen? Most of the parts I load show up in the position that I saved them in, but my colleague does not always have the same luck.

3 REPLIES 3

They should load in the same spot.  However, if that part is in an assembly when it is save the first time, it will not necessarily be in that spot when it is reloaded.

So, create the part outside of an assembly, save the part, then move it into an assembly.

Best regards

Tom

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

I ran into a similar problem when creating individual parts from a parametric master and saving them in position.  When I load the individual parts into the final model I have to select the "Load as Part/Assy Version" option in the load GUI; otherwise, the parts do not always load in their saved position.  I read through the online documentation but have yet to understand why this option is needed except that it may have something to do with the system ID of the part.

Thanks.

Scott

WayneF
1-Newbie
(To:agracia)

As Tom Kirkman indicates, this happens if you are saving a part when it is in an assembly.  This is because the part position when it is a child of an assembly is stored in its parent assembly file. So if you store the individual part without its parent assembly, then it does not have the most recent position information stored in the file, but instead has the position in which it was originally created.  The method I would recommend is to:

1. share the part in the assembly to the root level / without moving it

2.  store it to your file system and now the file has both instance and contents information in the file.

3.  delete the stored part at the root level

This behavior is related to the instance and contents data structure of parts and assemblies.

Instance Data for Parts:  instance name, position, instance density, instance color, etc

Contents data for Parts:  faces, edges, surface geometry and topology information, and all the base properties

Instance Data for Assemblies:  names and position

Contents Data for Assemblies:  instance data of its child parts (the names and position of each part, for instance)

Top Tags