cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mass delete old files in folder

DarylWolf
4-Participant

Mass delete old files in folder

Hello all, I know there is a way to delete all old files in one folder at one time. I just am tired of trying to find out how in the ptc.com crap site. Anyone want to fill me in so I can get it done without spending my whole life searching ptc.com. Thanks Daryl
15 REPLIES 15
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:DarylWolf)

Are you talking about old verions? ie: part.prt.1 etc?
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:CBenner)

Yes, sorry I guess I should be more precise. Thanks
CBenner
5-Regular Member

Do a search for TruE Utilities. I'm not sure if you can find it anywhere anymore but it's a decent third party freeware that does a folder purge of Pro E files. Also in Pro E there is a purge.bat somewhere that does the same thing, but you have to copy it into the folder you want to clean.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:CBenner)

Thanks. I actually found something in case you wanted to know also. I created a mapkey for this purge.bat and it works perfectly. TPI 33524 Thanks again for the help. Daryl

Chris,Daryl, there still is the purge.bat placed in the bin directory of your Pro/E instalation. Just make sure that the bin directory is set in your path variable then you can run a purge in a DOS command line in each directory or write a batch file that does that for you in your complete folder structure as a routin. Cheers Thomas

If you're happy using Regedit, you can add Purge to the context menu on a folder within Windows. Add My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\purge with a default value of P&urge (this makes U the hotkey) then add ...\shell\purge\command with a default of <full-path>\purge.bat %1

Pick, "Window" Pick, "Open System Window" A window will open showing the directory path of your current working directory. Type, "Purge" then enter. Or You can search the internet for a utility called "Spurge.exe". It is a stand alone program that runs outside of Pro E. I can delete several diferent types of files that Pro E creates, .log, .m_p, .idx, etc....
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:ptc-2133951)

Thanks everybody. Great info. Daryl

I've done the following. Create a .bat file and paste this text into it. Leave it on your desktop and copy it into whicever folder you're working in. Double click to cleanup you folder. del *.bom.* del *.inf.* del *.log.* del *.lst.* del *.rel.* del *.tst.* del *.err.* del *.crc.* del *.idx.* del *.usr.* del *.m_p.* del *.xpr* del *.xas.* del current_session.pro purge.bat It can be customised to delete various files that aren't needed and then it runs the pro/e purge.bat which will delete old versions.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:AntonyRobinson)

It is 2010, it never ceases to amaze me how many of PTC's functions still rely on a DOS prompt or system window to execute. I'm relearning things I had stopped using back in the early 90's!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

I think this topic points out why Pro E is losing market share to other cad programs like Solidworks. After I finish a design I have to clean up my directories because my awesome cad program made a mess and now I have another task to take of!

You could use SpekanPurge http://www.usginnotiv.nl/en/31366/sTools.html or DrPurge by arossbach http://proe.cad.de/downloads/proe.html These tools do what you want, even to folder trees. SpekanPurge even lets you choose how many versions you will keep. Reinhard

You can try this way 1:pick "window" on the proe interface, 2:input "purge" and knock at the "enter"; 3:input "dir" and knock at the "enter";(all the old version have be deleted) 4:input "exit"and knock at the "enter";(you will exit the dos interface )
Gee
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Gee)

This is an old post, but I believe the original question pertained to "purge".

Top Tags