cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Mass delete old files in folder

DarylWolf
4-Participant

Mass delete old files in folder

Hello all, I know there is a way to delete all old files in one folder at one time. I just am tired of trying to find out how in the ptc.com crap site. Anyone want to fill me in so I can get it done without spending my whole life searching ptc.com. Thanks Daryl
15 REPLIES 15
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:DarylWolf)

Are you talking about old verions? ie: part.prt.1 etc?
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:CBenner)

Yes, sorry I guess I should be more precise. Thanks
CBenner
5-Regular Member

Do a search for TruE Utilities. I'm not sure if you can find it anywhere anymore but it's a decent third party freeware that does a folder purge of Pro E files. Also in Pro E there is a purge.bat somewhere that does the same thing, but you have to copy it into the folder you want to clean.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:CBenner)

Thanks. I actually found something in case you wanted to know also. I created a mapkey for this purge.bat and it works perfectly. TPI 33524 Thanks again for the help. Daryl

Chris,Daryl, there still is the purge.bat placed in the bin directory of your Pro/E instalation. Just make sure that the bin directory is set in your path variable then you can run a purge in a DOS command line in each directory or write a batch file that does that for you in your complete folder structure as a routin. Cheers Thomas

If you're happy using Regedit, you can add Purge to the context menu on a folder within Windows. Add My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\purge with a default value of P&urge (this makes U the hotkey) then add ...\shell\purge\command with a default of <full-path>\purge.bat %1

Pick, "Window" Pick, "Open System Window" A window will open showing the directory path of your current working directory. Type, "Purge" then enter. Or You can search the internet for a utility called "Spurge.exe". It is a stand alone program that runs outside of Pro E. I can delete several diferent types of files that Pro E creates, .log, .m_p, .idx, etc....
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:ptc-2133951)

Thanks everybody. Great info. Daryl

I've done the following. Create a .bat file and paste this text into it. Leave it on your desktop and copy it into whicever folder you're working in. Double click to cleanup you folder. del *.bom.* del *.inf.* del *.log.* del *.lst.* del *.rel.* del *.tst.* del *.err.* del *.crc.* del *.idx.* del *.usr.* del *.m_p.* del *.xpr* del *.xas.* del current_session.pro purge.bat It can be customised to delete various files that aren't needed and then it runs the pro/e purge.bat which will delete old versions.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:AntonyRobinson)

It is 2010, it never ceases to amaze me how many of PTC's functions still rely on a DOS prompt or system window to execute. I'm relearning things I had stopped using back in the early 90's!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

I think this topic points out why Pro E is losing market share to other cad programs like Solidworks. After I finish a design I have to clean up my directories because my awesome cad program made a mess and now I have another task to take of!

You could use SpekanPurge http://www.usginnotiv.nl/en/31366/sTools.html or DrPurge by arossbach http://proe.cad.de/downloads/proe.html These tools do what you want, even to folder trees. SpekanPurge even lets you choose how many versions you will keep. Reinhard

You can try this way 1:pick "window" on the proe interface, 2:input "purge" and knock at the "enter"; 3:input "dir" and knock at the "enter";(all the old version have be deleted) 4:input "exit"and knock at the "enter";(you will exit the dos interface )
Gee
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Gee)

This is an old post, but I believe the original question pertained to "purge".

Top Tags