cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Moving WC9.1 workspaces from an XP to Win7

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Moving WC9.1 workspaces from an XP to Win7

I need to move several XP users over to Win764. Is it safe move the
users local windchill cache from XP to Win7?
Do you just grab the PTC folder from Application data folder, and paste
in into the users appdata folder?
Is there a best practice to follow?

These are the workstations I started the discussion about last month
over the Solid State drives. So I have not forgotten about a report, I
will let you know if there is a perceptal speed increase. Just
unpacking the first one.

15 REPLIES 15
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:msteffke)

Why move anything. Have the users delete their workspaces on their XP machines and recreate them on the Win7 machines.
Then copy the .settings folder over.

Your users will get better performance by having cleaned up their workspaces and so will the Windchill system.
Every file that is requested for check-out or check-in has to be compared to what is in ALL workspaces. Fewer workspaces, better performance.

If you must move, then just copy the top level folder over to the same parent location.
Going from XP to Win7, the file structure is different. XP used c:\Documents & Settings\<username>, win7 uses c:\users\<username>.

I would still have the users upload/check-in/remove all files, delete all workspaces and create new workspaces.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

I'm not sure you really need to delete the workspaces. Just make sure everything is checked in or uploaded. Then when the user accesses the workspace on the new computer, it will download all the files necessary for that workspace to the local cache. I wouldn't move the workspace to the new machine.

If you have upload set to automatic, you don't need to worry about uploading. Just make sure nothing is checked out.
dm_secondary_upload AUTOMATIC
dm_upload_objects AUTOMATIC

David Haigh

Hi Mark,

I don't think it will work.
When copying the windchill cache to a new system it should always be copied to the exact same path.
And the %APPDATA% path is different between XP and Win7. But maybe it will work if PTC uses the %APPDATA% variable consistently, you'll have to try.

We store our Windchill cache in a predefined destination by setting the ptc_wf_root variable (d:\users\%username%\ILINK9.1).
So I can just copy the cache from XP to Win7 machines. Have been doing that all the time the past few weeks.

Make sure that users clean up old workspaces and clear the cache before copying. Saves a lot of data to be copied.

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten
CAD/PLM Manager
Fico B.V.
Ratio 6, Duiven
Phone: +31 26 3196215
Mobile: +31 644548554
www.besi.com

To: -
Date: 10-01-2012 22:59
Subject: [proesys] - Moving WC9.1 workspaces from an XP to Win7

I need to move several XP users over to Win764. Is it safe move the users local windchill cache from XP to Win7?
Do you just grab the PTC folder from Application data folder, and paste in into the users appdata folder?
Is there a best practice to follow?

These are the workstations I started the discussion about last month over the Solid State drives. So I have not forgotten about a report, I will let you know if there is a perceptal speed increase. Just unpacking the first one.

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

Hello Mark

You can copy the folder following Ben's instructions, but you must do one more thing.
You have to edit file .Settings/config.fld. It's a text file that contains the name of the computer. Change that name to the name of the new computer.
You can edit the other 2 files too but it is not so necessary.
Another advice. There is a folder called events. You can skip copying that one. In our case it had 18000 objects and it was taking hours to copy. We skipped it and all is well

Best regards

Daniel García

"Loosli, Ben H" <-> escribió:

>Why move anything. Have the users delete their workspaces on their XP
>machines and recreate them on the Win7 machines.
>Then copy the .settings folder over.
>
>Your users will get better performance by having cleaned up their
>workspaces and so will the Windchill system.
>Every file that is requested for check-out or check-in has to be
>compared to what is in ALL workspaces. Fewer workspaces, better
>performance.
>
>If you must move, then just copy the top level folder over to the same
>parent location.
>Going from XP to Win7, the file structure is different. XP used
>c:\Documents & Settings\<username>, win7 uses c:\users\<username>.
>
>I would still have the users upload/check-in/remove all files, delete
>all workspaces and create new workspaces.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Ben H. Loosli
>USEC, INC.
>

Definitely lots of options here it seems.

To add some hopefully useful information...

We define separate locations for PTC_WF_ROOT and PTC_WF_CACHE. I've
found that all you need to copy is the cache content. When you
reconnect to your server, the content of PTC_WF_ROOT, wherever you
define it on the new machine, will be re-created. No need to worry
about updating the machine name. Other suggestions about clearing the
cache first and skipping copy of the events folder (that's a new one on
me -- cool) can apply here too.

BTW, I've found that if you DO split ROOT and CACHE, many local cache
corruption/stall issues can be resolved by just exiting, deleting the
PTC_WF_ROOT content and re-connecting to the server at restart. No
local cache data is lost or even messed with. It is much less common in
my experience to have a problem with the CACHE.

This is from PTC tech support when we needed to do this:

Mike Foster
ATK

You cannot move the workspace by moving the Cache folder to the target machine, please use the "Export Workspace" command as explained below.

1. Go to Tools -> Server Manager

2. Select or activate the workspace you want to export

3. From the Workspace pulldown menu select Export Workspace
[cid:image001.png@01CCD02F.2B3E3840]

4. Exporting workspace will create a .pws file (Portable WorkSpace) click on the "Browse" button to save it on the local disk

5. Click OK

6. Give a password and confirm the same

7. A PWS file get saved on the location you specified

8. Copy it to your target machine and use the Import Workspace command to import the objects

I just love the PTC tech support "you cannot..." statements. This
method might have some built-in cleanup to it and have some other
advantages though.

Honestly, I'm a bit baffled by all this back and forth concerning moving the folders from one workstation to another. Even the PTC Tech support answer is a head-scratcher.

There is already built in method for moving a user from one machine to another, allowing him to keep the current workspaces and their contents. It's the Upload command. It was already covered in this thread by Ben and it takes almost no effort at all -- no jumping through hoops; no exporting/importing workspaces; no moving a (sometimes huge) cache folder over the network; no sacrificing a chicken. 😉

User uploads all objects from all workspaces. (Honestly, automatic upload should already be set in your config.pro anyway, IMO.)

User logs into new workstationand launches Pro/E.

User activate appropriate workspace and sees all the work he just saw on the old workstation.

That's the purpose of Upload. Upload exists to allow users to move to different workstations and still see the most up to date contents of their workspaces. I urge everyone to try it out. Amazingly, it really does work as advertised.

Though Ben mentions the settings file, that part is optional. The upload method works with or without copying the settings file.

Keep It Simple Sir!

You'd be surprised at the number of things that cannot be uploaded
whenever desired in our environment. We thought it would be that simple
too, but reality hasn't proved it out.

Definitely the way to go when it works though.

msteffke
12-Amethyst

I agree Don. But apparently this is a topic with interest that most
admins have or will face. Im suprised to see so many opinions. Our
workspaces are HUGE. Like 20,000 objects in them, and there could be
several that size in the users cache. Configure to order and complete
automation from configure to manufacture brings that situation on. A
re-download can be a little painstaking for the user. So far on any OS
conversions I have not moved the local cache, but I was wondering if I
could help out the users here as well. For a normal user who has a few
hundred abjects and is using pro/E in the typical interactive way to
model objects and assemblies, I wouldn't mess with moving anything.

Mark Steffke
Engineering System Administrator
The Delfield Company
Manitowoc Foodservice
T 989.775.9215 or 989.773.7981, ext 12484
Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence

Good point about workspace size and download. I must admit that the users I've had in the past with 8-10k objects in their workspace simply checked everything in when they where scheduled for a workstation upgrade. On the new workstation they would simply download the objects needed and wait for the system/network to get it done.

I wonder if download would be faster or slower than copying those folders to the new workstation manually, as is being discussed in this thread.

In Reply to Mark Steffke:

I agree Don. But apparently this is a topic with interest that most
admins have or will face. Im suprised to see so many opinions. Our
workspaces are HUGE. Like 20,000 objects in them, and there could be
several that size in the users cache. Configure to order and complete
automation from configure to manufacture brings that situation on. A
re-download can be a little painstaking for the user. So far on any OS
conversions I have not moved the local cache, but I was wondering if I
could help out the users here as well. For a normal user who has a few
hundred abjects and is using pro/E in the typical interactive way to
model objects and assemblies, I wouldn't mess with moving anything.

Mark Steffke
Engineering System Administrator
The Delfield Company
Manitowoc Foodservice
T 989.775.9215 or 989.773.7981, ext 12484
Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

After reading the other responses, I think the upload to the server on all saves will do what you want automatically.
Nice tip about separating the CACHE from the ROOT folder. Have to try that.
The only time you need to move the .settings folder is if your users have local searches or view configurations set. If all Windchill settings are OOTB (or system administrated) then you don't need this folder.

I agree that all Pro/E config.pro files should have the upload on save set on. Saves a lot of time.

PTC's method would ONLY be needed IF you had a lot of new content that had never been checked in and the files had not been uploaded. An admin cannot run the command on someone else's workstation unless they log in as that user to the OS and Windchill.

Large workspaces will always be a problem. Keeping configurations in workspaces, doesn't seem like intended functionality. As I mentioned the system has to check all those workspaces and files. Cleaning up workspaces is a pet peeve of mine. I have seen too many corrupt workspaces where data was lost due to some user action. Keeping the number of workspaces down and minimal files in the workspaces will improve system performance.

Always good to have discussions to confirm/question pending actions.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

This has been a very interesting thread. We recently migrated from IntraLink 3.4 to PDMLink 9.1 and we had users check everything in and delete the workspaces. Or for those who had issues that couldn’t be remedied in time, or just waited til the last second to address it export to their data to hard drives for post-migration re-import.

I’m down with Ben on the auto upload on save. It requires more frequent vault maintenance, but it’s worth it to make sure things end up in the server-side of the workspace.

BTW the config.pro option is: dm_uploaded_objects = YES

Best of luck,

Bob Lohbauer

Actually there are two options depending on how your system is set up. And at least for WF4 the setting isn’t YES, it’s automatic.

dm_secondary_upload AUTOMATIC
dm_upload_objects AUTOMATIC

[cid:image005.jpg@01CCD049.A59AAFF0]

David Haigh

David is right, we use automatic, ,my bad.
Top Tags