cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

New PC for large assemblies

Chris3
20-Turquoise

New PC for large assemblies

I am looking at getting a new machine for large assemblies, cost is not important. Due to Creo being largely a single threaded program I want to get the Core i9 13900KS. My company has a contract with Dell (although there may be some wiggle room there). Unfortunately it appears that Dell doesn't sell the Core i9 13900KS with workstations.

I am looking at a XPS machine that they sell but it has a NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090 gaming card in it. Has anyone tried to run Creo with a gaming graphics card? Ideally I would like to be able to run Creo Simulate Live and it appears to me that this graphics card is not supported.

Any other thoughts for those of you who have spec'ed out machines specifically for large assemblies?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:Chris3)

No, gaming cards are no good for Creo and absolutely won't work with CSL. I haven't tried any in a while but it used to be that it MIGHT work and might even be really fast but they were much more likely to crash and wouldn't support as many Creo windows open (like only 2-3). Other than that I agree with trying to get the best single thread performance from the CPU that you can. Not sure if you're already aware but Passmark has a great listing of CPU performance including single thread. PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

No, gaming cards are no good for Creo and absolutely won't work with CSL. I haven't tried any in a while but it used to be that it MIGHT work and might even be really fast but they were much more likely to crash and wouldn't support as many Creo windows open (like only 2-3). Other than that I agree with trying to get the best single thread performance from the CPU that you can. Not sure if you're already aware but Passmark has a great listing of CPU performance including single thread. PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:rreifsnyder)

I haven't used that site, but I have been reviewing Olaf's benchmarks:

https://creosite.com/index.php/ocus-benchmark/ocus-benchmark-v7-result-table/ 

If you need a certified system, then you probably have to stick with the big boys and what they have to offer.

If you have the option to build your own you can make something nice.

I Recently built a system from parts, did a fair amount of research & wanted to pick good parts. It scored 472 on Olaf's Creo benchmark.

That is with a i7-13700KF CPU, 32Gb DDR4 memory, NVIDIA A4500 GPU and pcie 4.0 nvme storage.

All told, ~ $2,400

From what benchmarks I looked at, there did not seem to be a big advantage to i9 vs. i7 for single core work.

The 13x00 is slightly better than the 12x00, but maybe not worth the extra cost.

Get a really good CPU cooler if youo are going to be pushing multiple cores.

DDR5 does not seem to be much of an improvement over DDR4.

Good Luck!

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:TrainStopper)

Thanks for the help folks. It looks like we will be going the custom solution route.

mwa
14-Alexandrite
14-Alexandrite

Do you have experience with the ICore 9 13900 CPU? 

a) What motherboard is used ?

b) Which chipset is used?

c) Do you have ECC memory ?

d) how is the stabily of the systemen and of Creo?

e) Is it silent?

Overall: What is your impressium about the performance wit the Icore 9 13900 processor, 

Is it as stable as a Xeon processor? 

Top Tags