cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Opening Certain Files in Windchill

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Opening Certain Files in Windchill

All,

Another one of those things that's been bugging me for a long time and I keep ignoring...

Does anyone notice when opening certain files in Windchill that it asks you if you want to check out or continue or make read only and your just browsing? What's up with that? I am assuming that these files have something unresolved about them? Maybe family table related? Also when saving...it asks me if I want to check out, continue or make read only and I have not touched the file. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I generally make them read only and move on.

WayneF

7 REPLIES 7
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:wfalco)

There is something that wants to regenerate...external references...relations...I can think of any more...right off hand...but I like having a longer list...

We have it set so everything comes in a locked in the workspace and then I check out what I want to change. It eliminates most of these annoying prompts.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:StephenW)

Yes. I lock them too. I have at times gone to the files to see what the issues are and I know I was stumped. One that I thought to be the culprit is recalculating mass properties?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Only mass properties if you use a relation, such as weight=pro_mp_mass

Top down designs will want to regenerate parts due to references.

Merges and inheritance features

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Yes. We have the weight relation. I'm pretty sure that's a big part of it. We don't have a real admin...so...things are running a bit amuck.

One thing 1 thing that many casual or new users will do is "continue". If you save a higher lever that is going to "blue cross" that file (modify it)...and have the user confused.

It would be nice I guess if there were options to better manage these scenarios in WC???

StephenW
23-Emerald II

It's basically left to the user to decide what they are planning on changing and what is unexpectedly changed due to whatever. You have to really pay attention when those pop up. I do my best to check out object I plan on changing and then if I get a pop up like that, I make sure I either check it out if I need to modify it or figure out what it is and why it making the request. It's about diligence.

We all know some users who just don't pay attention (or just don't care) and want to check in everything that shows as modified.  Uggghhhh....I don't miss the previous place I worked where they had strict controls on Intralink/pdmlink but occasionally I do.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

yup

DanielO
5-Regular Member

Do you think this PTC article could give some hints about the reasons a Creo parametric model may be causing an Update conflict:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS32596

Top Tags