cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Part Number Store

ptc-198847
2-Guest

Part Number Store

Has anyone set up a number store to pull unique numbers for new parts configured on the fly with a Smart Assy app? We do not have the SA license to access ODBC databases. Could it be done using the PLUGIN command to call an external program? How do we pass the numbers back into the SA application? Could a number store be managed with an Excel file? How does that handle file sharing with multiple requests at one time? I would love to hear ideas how other users are doing this.

Doug Brandt
Engineering Systems Analyst 2
Development Engineering
hermanmiller.com
1 REPLY 1

I am looking to do the same thing. My experience with trying to use Excel with many people possibly hitting it at the same time does not make it the best tool. Thats why we are going to add the ODBC to connect to a sql data base. We even had issues trying to write to a common text file. If the file is open by someone else you have issues. So we though about creating a copy local to each system and merge items together. For a part number system that would not work, but for a logging system it did.

Top Tags