cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Purge non-administator privledge...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

Purge non-administator privledge...

Anyone have a purge executable/program that does NOT require administrator privledges? I mostly work in Windchill, but on occasion work off line and it would be nice to be able to clean up my directories. I thought I had a TrueUtilities executable, but it's only an installation program and need admin privledge to run.

thanks in advance...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Use the built in purge command. No you don't get to choose how many versions to keep. You just get the latest of each file.

Pick the magnifying glass in the upper right of Creo
Type in sys, then pick Open System Window. (for some reason they have hidden the command in Creo. It used to be in the pull down menus)
[cid:image001.png@01CF6B61.283A41A0]

That opens up a command prompt in the directory that is your current working directory. This command window also has any environment variables that were set when Creo was launched.

I naturally assume since you're working standalone that you have set your work directory to where your files are.
Type "purge" in the command window and then exit the window. You can type "exit" since your hands are already on the keyboard. Done!

It's worked this way since the beginning.

David Haigh
cying
10-Marble
(To:pdkoren)

How often does anyone use their trail file to save their work? I have been using ProE since Version 7 and I think I have tried once or twice in the early years.

We are implementing a new roll out for the ProE environment, and the questions came up as do we purge the trail files or should we just delete them each time they start ProE. Our decision is to delete them each time. When you purge, it'll keep the latest trail.txt.XXX We had an issue when the trail got up as high as trail.txt.999 and ProE won't start because it can't create a trail.txt.1000

If the user wants to use the trail file, they can rename it before they start ProE again. Maybe there are other usage of trail file that I am not aware of, but I think this will be better than purge tool.

My $0.02 🙂

Calvin Ying
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:pdkoren)

The limit on the .XXXXX extension is much higher than 999. When I implemented our company wide config.win files, I wanted to make sure a user couldn't save a higher dot number and prevent the copied files from working. I determined that the highest number is 32767, at least for config.win files. If you save again, Proe creates a -32768 file (I think they are duplicates), but I believe that the 32767 file is the one loaded. In hindsight, I'm not sure why I didn't simply have my batch file delete any config.win.* files in the text folder first, but it's a bit late to worry about now.

Perhaps trail files work differently, however. I haven't tested parts, assys or drawings either.

[cid:image002.png@01CF6B7D.F7AD2F80]

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I stand corrected. That system window doesn't know about the parametric/bin folder.

When I look at the path in that command window it only contains these Creo paths:
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M090\x86e_win64\lib;C:\Perl64\site\bin;
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M090\x86e_win64\deflib;
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M090\libs\dfor\lib

So by default your system doesn't know about the commands down in the parametric load point:
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin

The easiest way to add this is to download a program called Redmond path. Here:

This only works if the location of the built in purge.bat file is in your system PATH variable. Sadly, that takes administration to do if it's not...

In Reply to David Haigh:

Use the built in purge command. No you don't get to choose how many versions to keep. You just get the latest of each file.

Pick the magnifying glass in the upper right of Creo
Type in sys, then pick Open System Window. (for some reason they have hidden the command in Creo. It used to be in the pull down menus)
[cid:image001.png@01CF6B61.283A41A0]

That opens up a command prompt in the directory that is your current working directory. This command window also has any environment variables that were set when Creo was launched.

I naturally assume since you're working standalone that you have set your work directory to where your files are.
Type "purge" in the command window and then exit the window. You can type "exit" since your hands are already on the keyboard. Done!

It's worked this way since the beginning.

David Haigh

Ok, assuming you can't use Redmond path to extend your path, you can do it in a bat file. Call it mypurge.bat

set set PATH=%PATH%;"C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin\
purge

Open up the system window like I describe and type mypurge.
Your path may be different than mine.

You will want to put your bat file some place that is in your current path.
Type set and a return to see what's in your path.

But like I said Redmond path is simpler.
[cid:image001.png@01CF6DB7.6E7248E0]

However, I do believe you can use Redmond path to do what you want, Notice that in the screen shot above there is a User Specific tab.
You can use that to add to your path. You should be able to extend your path with the path to the parametric/bin folder.

David Haigh
Top Tags