cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

ptc-141274
1-Newbie

I now have what I wanted via a slightly different method

I needed to add a column to the model tree.
In the model tree columns box pull down: Type > Mass Properties Parameters > PRO_MP_MASS

For PRO_MP_MASS to stay up-to-date you need this config setting that recalcs mass on every regen:
mass_property_calculate automatic

It seems that for the mass information I did not need to create an analysis feature, and don't have to worry about a footer.

Thanks to Mike!

I can't get the analysis feature to display the mass in the model tree yet. I might need this functionality for measurements other than mass in the future.

~Doug
Creo Elements / pro 5.0

[cid:image001.png@01CD7A15.20324640]

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-141274)

I don't care for the "mass_property_calculate automatic" config.pro option because of its global reach. EVERYTHING gets its mass calculated, whether you need it or not. This is especially annoying for assemblies that have a bunch of parts in them that don't have their mass set. You get stuck entering a mass property value for every one before the calculation can complete. I prefer to add a statement to the bottom of the pro/program file that automatically updates the mass properties for that specific part/assembly every time it is regenerated. If you want all new parts you create to keep their mass up to date, add this line to the pro/program statement in your start parts. And for those who are wondering, yes, pro/e is smart enough to change this line in the pro/program file if you rename/duplicate/create from this model.

MASSPROP
PART <part name="> (or ASSEMBLY <assembly name=">)
END MASSPROP

For more information on how this works, see the pro/e help documentation. In WF5, it's located under "Functional Areas / Program / Editing a Design / Mass Properties and INTERACT Statements / Updating Mass Properties When Geometry Changes"

Tom U.
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-141274)

One more thing. You aren't going to see the results from your analysis in the model tree under the PRO_MP_MASS column because that is not the name of the parameter in that feature. If you want to see the value of a feature level parameter, you need to add that specific parameter as its own column. You can easily do this by setting the tree columns type dropdown to "Feat Params" and then typing the name of the parameter you want to see in at the bottom where it says "Name". After entering the value, just click the >> arrow so it gets added to the list of active columns. If you are unsure of the parameter name, right click on the feature and choose "info". At the bottom of the page it will list the available parameters for that specific feature.

Something to keep in mind is that different features can each contain a parameter with the same name. The parameter is unique to that feature. This is very handy when you want to see a unique value from multiple features but you don't want a separate column for each one.

Tom U.

[cid:image002.png@01CD7A2D.C39FF710]

Wait until you move to Creo 2, quite often mass properties do not update correctly no matter what your settings or how many times you regenerate!
Model player does help though.

Regards,
Walt Weiss

Top Tags