cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

To Purge

TechSupport
1-Newbie

To Purge

Hai

this is bruno

Sr,Application Engineer,

Mind power,

PTC-Chanell partner\

In pro-E 5 i have used "purge" in command promt to avoid repeted versions

but i couldn't the same in Creo-2.0

My question is,why the Software creating old versions,hence its occupies and create unwanted files

or is there any intention beyond this concept,,,,,

1.how can i control systematically to delete or avoid this old versions or repeted versions,,

2.Explain the procedure "purge" in Creo-2.0 Parametric........

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this community thread on How to purge Creo file versions

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• Use the basic Purge.bat utility provided within the Creo installation, as documented in article CS98122
  • You may create your own batch file with the purge.exe executable of the Creo installation, eg: C:\Program Files\PTC\<Creo build>\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj\purge.exe
  • Refer to CreoPurge utility from Olaf Corten's site
  • Use more advanced 3rd party Purge utility with GUI like Spekan Purge utility
  • For the object loaded in the current Creo session you could use the command:
    • File > Manage File > Delete Old Versions 
  • Note:
    • Since Creo Parametric 3.0 you can use the config.pro option "save_file_iterations" set to "no" to prevent versioning (only for new files, see CS165325)
    • Keep in mind older file versions may act as Backup if latest version gets corrupted before you purge
    • If using Windchill you may review some requirements before being able to purge some CAD files in article CS44609

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

In the Creo builds, PTC shuffled some of the old files around. To purge, I use "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\M040\i486_nt\obj\purge.exe" Your path will vary, but you can probably follow it.

I create a batch file, ProPurge.bat, which contains:

cd "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"

echo y | del *.crc.*

echo y | del *.log.*

echo y | del *.m_p.*

echo y | del *.ger.*

echo y | del *.inf.*

echo y | del *.lst.*

echo y | del *.log.*

echo y | del *.plt

echo y | del *.idx

echo y | del *.tst

"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\M040\i486_nt\obj\purge.exe"

I then added the ProPurge function to the Right Mouse Button of a folder in Explorer. Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab. Find "File Folder". Choose New. For Action, call it ProPurge. For application, paste in everything between {} with your appropriate path modifications.

{"C:\Documents and Settings\reeceda1\My Documents\Technical Info\Engineering\CAD\ProE\ProPurge.bat" "%1"}

I don't know how to systematically control the versions.

Hope this helps,

Daryl

thanks reece,

if u give me a clear instruction,it will help me more,i dont have any idea about .bat,

or batch file,

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TechSupport)

I use something called SPurge.exe. I will allow you to choose what extensions you want to remove and it will also allows you to keep the last however many you want of the instances (you can pre-set the number i.e. 5 or 10).

thanks rosema,

i dont get any idea about it,can u explain it more,,,,,,,,,

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TechSupport)

Spekan Purge Tool is the name.

You choose how many versions to keep (ie. part.prt.1, part.prt.2 part.prt.3 part.prt.4 part. prt.5).

You set the directory (with or without subdirectories)

If you set the versions to three, it would remove part.prt.1 and part.prt.2 from the above.

You can also select other extension to remove (i.e. .bom, .igs, .dat, .txt, .....)

I hope this explains it better.

hi,

in version's before creo parametric the purge option is available under window>open system window

you have to basicaly then type purge under dos prompt to purge

in creo parametric in the earch command option type in open system window and it would open the dos prompt for you to purge.

as pro/e saves the files as multiple files...if incase u want the file from a older version u can open that..and also if you simply want a older version file to start your modelling again.

In Creo 2 you can follow this:

[File][Manage File][Delete Old Versions]

Or

[File][Manage File][Delete All Versions]

I found this by choosing the Help Center [?] in upper right corner and then typing "all versions" [Enter] in the search field.

PTC worthy clarity! 🙂

Well, this is valid for the active object in the screen.

You can make a mapkey to automate thing a little bit.

If you have a big folder with complex assemblies with multiple parts this is a little bit cumbersome.

In my experience the SPurge program as mentioned above is very neat and effective.

It remembers your latest used settings.

If you want to purge a different location, you can set it accordingly.

If you want, you can add other extensions if needed.

To close this community thread on How to purge Creo file versions

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• Use the basic Purge.bat utility provided within the Creo installation, as documented in article CS98122
  • You may create your own batch file with the purge.exe executable of the Creo installation, eg: C:\Program Files\PTC\<Creo build>\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj\purge.exe
  • Refer to CreoPurge utility from Olaf Corten's site
  • Use more advanced 3rd party Purge utility with GUI like Spekan Purge utility
  • For the object loaded in the current Creo session you could use the command:
    • File > Manage File > Delete Old Versions 
  • Note:
    • Since Creo Parametric 3.0 you can use the config.pro option "save_file_iterations" set to "no" to prevent versioning (only for new files, see CS165325)
    • Keep in mind older file versions may act as Backup if latest version gets corrupted before you purge
    • If using Windchill you may review some requirements before being able to purge some CAD files in article CS44609
Top Tags