cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Unable to see correct file types in Windows explorer

ptc-5830858
1-Newbie

Unable to see correct file types in Windows explorer

Looking for help to understand why one user sees this: (i.e. correct file types)

What+Iain+Sees.JPG

And others see this: (i.e.) the same directory but no 1 file, 2 file etc)

What+David+Sees.JPG

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

David

7 REPLIES 7

Hi!

What kind of SO are you using?

Hugo,

I assume you mean OS, in which case all users are on WIN 7 PRO SP1

Regards,

David

Hi!

Thanks for the SO / OS tip .

You can go to Control panel, Predifined Programs, Associate files to programs, then add all extension files to the program you want.

The first step is that you need to change the folder view to show extensions.

The 1 file and 2 file are files that end in the suffixes .1 and .2, which are not being displayed.

If you care to, these are the file types that need to be associated with programs, but there's a problem.

PTC also uses these extensions for it's text output files; double clicking on fred.inf.1 will ordinarily load and start Pro/E even though Pro/E can't open a .inf file; it's just text. Same goes for .log and .txt and other non-part, non-assy, non-drawing files.

That's the reason I disassociate as many numeric suffixes as possible. I can always search for and open the Pro/E files from Pro/E, but got tired of double clicking on text files and having Pro/E load instead.

You can find 999 or more of them in the Registry if you want to look.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-5830858)

OS22.JPG

All,

Thanks for your input. Can some one confirm how you identify the latest version?

A lot of our data was copied to a network drive so the date fields are not a true indication of the latest part.

I am able to see the Creo versioned extension now (thanks to the above replies)

Regards,

David

Well... the latest version should be the one with the largest extension number, but if one user has their own copy it will not match the versioning history of other users, so you'd have to go by date.

Pro/E Creo will pick up the largest version suffix on the first filename match it finds in the search path.

This unsettlement is why Intralink was a big help. 50 different folders, 50 different groups of multiple versions of the same item. All different modification dates. Each user with custom, incompatible search paths. Gaahh!

Top Tags