cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Using multiple license servers

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Using multiple license servers

We have two different groups, each of which has its own license server. For simplicity, let's call them "fileserver-1" and "fileserver-2". Each server is running its own instance of the FlexLM license manager (Version 11.14).

Often, due to temporary contractor usage or wanting to run simulations on a dedicated machine (and thus consuming a license for an extended period of time) we'd like to obtain an unused license from one or the other server that has idle ones.

It *seems* like this should be a matter of just listing all the license servers in the initial software configuration. One would think that it would then pull the next available license from the second server specified if all the ones in the first server are taken. What we are experiencing, however (Creo 4.0, build M060) is that if all the licenses on the first server in the list are taken, the license request fails, even if licenses are still available on the second server. Switching the order of the license servers in the configuration has the same effect; the first server in the list is the only one being looked to for licenses.

Is there a configuration method that we are ignorant of that is necessary to do what we want? Has anyone developed a workaround or technique for doing something like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

unfortunatelly I cannot test your problem in my environment. So I am adding some notes (related to Creo 4.0):

1.]

When Creo starts it looks into bin directory for psf files.

psf file contains following important lines:

DESC=description

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@server1;7788@server2

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=list_of_license_names (list_of_module_codes)

---

If these lines are set properly, then I think Creo must be able to find free license on any license server.

Paths to license servers are separated by semicolon. I launched reconfigure and added second server to verify it.

2.]

When configuring psf files I always use Notepad++, I do not like Creo installer.

3.]

In your situation I would create two sets of psf files. Set no.1 pointing to server1 and set no.2 pointing to server2

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:KenFarley)

Not using at the moment, but we've used multiple license servers in the past without any issues.

Do both servers have the same license types on them?  Creo is only looking for licenses specified in the CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME environment variable.  (See the .psf file in the bin directory.)

This article might be helpful:  https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS209678

Hi,

unfortunatelly I cannot test your problem in my environment. So I am adding some notes (related to Creo 4.0):

1.]

When Creo starts it looks into bin directory for psf files.

psf file contains following important lines:

DESC=description

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@server1;7788@server2

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=list_of_license_names (list_of_module_codes)

---

If these lines are set properly, then I think Creo must be able to find free license on any license server.

Paths to license servers are separated by semicolon. I launched reconfigure and added second server to verify it.

2.]

When configuring psf files I always use Notepad++, I do not like Creo installer.

3.]

In your situation I would create two sets of psf files. Set no.1 pointing to server1 and set no.2 pointing to server2

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin and Tom, I knew you guys would probably have some good ideas. I really like the idea of setting up two .psf files. That way when people start up Creo they will have the option of which server to try first. They can default to their own group's licenses and if that fails try to get one from the other group.

We'll have a go at it and see what happens.

This was the problem and "manual" editing of the .psf file was the solution. We found that the installer was only putting the information in for the server that was first in the list. It's all working fine now.

Top Tags