cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Wildfire 5 on a Dell Workstation with the Quad-core i7

sglascoe
1-Newbie

Wildfire 5 on a Dell Workstation with the Quad-core i7

Does anyone know if Wildfire 5 will run on a system with the quadcore i7 processor? I am looking at getting a new workstation.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi. I don't see why it shouldn't although it may be overkill if you're using it strictly for CAD. I'd be more concerned over the OS, especially seeing how much a pig Vista is as well as the imminent release of 7, as I don't think the CAD functionality would make very good use of the multi-core architecture. Personally, if it were up to me I would rather invest in slightly more cost-effective CPU but bump up the graphics card, but, hey, that's just me.

From what I understand, Pro/E doesn't utilize multiple cores unless you are doing FEA. I agree with Alex, a single fast processor with a good video card and lots of RAM will make all the difference.

Thanks for your input. What video card would you recommend?

From what I can see apart the Cre2Duo processors the other last generation processors are QuadCore or TripleCore. I would sugest Intel I-5 750 or I7-860, and from AMD the Phenom X3 or X4. These are the most cost effective last generation processors. If you are using pro/e for Nc manufacturing or FEA go for the most powerfull you can afford otherwise stick between the I-5 and the X4 Phenom. For large assemblies, manufacturing rendering and FEA, graphics and memory are the killer. Use a 64-bit operating system to go beyond the 3MB memory limmit. The more memory you have the faster are the calculations and fewer the crasches. For grapgics dont go less than the QUADRO FX1500, is the entry level for serious pro/e work. FX1500 is discontineud you probably find it second hand if you want brand new FX1700 or FX1800 you can find.
Top Tags