cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

create_drawing_dims_only set to YES or NO

BobFrindt
2-Guest

create_drawing_dims_only set to YES or NO

Hello all

I know that if the config.pro variable create_drawing_dims_only is set to NO (default). created dimensions are stored with the model. If create_drawing_dims_only is set to YES, they are stored at the drawing level only. I believe the drawback of setting it to YES is, that you cannot then add GTOL's to the dimensions. Actually it looks like I can add GTOL's but I am unable to utilize model datums in the GTOL feature control frame.

Can anyone tell me if my assumption iscorrect and if there are other drawbacks to setting it to YES.

(No "Created vs. Shown" responses please)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I believe that it also limits the use of model dims in created dims and
notes by using &dxx.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Another effect of "NO" is to modify the part each time the drawing is
touched with a new created dimension. If that's OK then it's OK. I have
had experience with downstream users creating their own drawings and
including their own created dimensions. Since the parts are by that time
released they are not able to be changed. This makes the downstream user
unhappy as all their created dimensions vanish with the next update or
drawing retrieval.

Doug Schaefer wrote:
> I believe that it also limits the use of model dims in created dims
> and notes by using &dxx.
>
> *Doug Schaefer*
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:BobFrindt)

In Reply to Robert Frindt:

Hello all

I know that if the config.pro variable create_drawing_dims_only is set to NO (default). created dimensions are stored with the model. If create_drawing_dims_only is set to YES, they are stored at the drawing level only. I believe the drawback of setting it to YES is, that you cannot then add GTOL's to the dimensions. Actually it looks like I can add GTOL's but I am unable to utilize model datums in the GTOL feature control frame.

Can anyone tell me if my assumption iscorrect and if there are other drawbacks to setting it to YES.

(No "Created vs. Shown" responses please)

You can have create_drawing_dims_only set to YES and create GTOL's that reference model datums. There are two ways.

1) Create the GTOL in the model (even while in drawing mode). In this case you ARE modifying the model and the datums will appear in the drop down list. If these GTOLS ate attached to a dimension it must be a shown model dimension.

2) Use the model drop down list to select The Drawing. You can use any dimension in the drawing for placement, created or shown. The model datums don't show up in the drop down list but you can use the selection arrow and pick them from the graphics window.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags