cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

problem saving mapkeys?

ptc-4864603
1-Newbie

problem saving mapkeys?

happens all the time, I'll make a macro, save changed, made sure the window I made it in is the last one I shutdown.

some stick, some don't.

anyone else have this issue? creo 2.0 m080

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-4864603)

YES. I believe this problem has something to do with making other changes to the config.pro when also saving mapkeys. In a little experiment, it seemed that if I only made mapkeys and saved them, everything saved just fine. IF I made mapkeys and saved them AND also made other changes to the config settings during that same CREO session, I would lose my mapkeys I had made.

Steve

When you add or modify mapkeys, where do you save the config.pro file?

If you open the config.pro with a text editor, you can see what mapkeys have been added to it.

When Creo starts, it looks in the Program folder and the run folder for configs containing mapkeys, and loads them in order (only the last definition will be used).

Also worth checking read/write permissions - our run folder is read-only to prevent unwanted changes - we have a user sub-folder where folks can add their own configs and mapkeys, and they get joined to the main company config.

Ed

thank you for sharing your observations Stephen. it's been driving me crazy trying to find consistent behavior.

so what do you do when the macro is changing something that prompts you to save the config file? I have been clicking save within the macro to dismiss the window?

edwin, i'm not 100% sure how our is configured, i know that when we start up it loads our organizations config, loads mine, and (not sure about this part) then its gets merged into current_session.pro. That's why I have always clicked "save changed", I had been using "all" until I figured out (atleast I think) that it was saving the all the mapkeys from mine and the organization into config.pro. This led to a massive amount of duplicates, and ballooned my config file close to 5mb!

recorded action macros are so archaic, it should be atleast on par with, dare I say it, MS Office. Not saying I like macros in Office, just stating that its so basic and they make it a convoluted shot in the dark when you make them. Ontop of that they aren't saving.

626262.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Well, You may have a combination of problems going on here.

Current session config is sort of a temporary thing that Creo creates. You shouldn't be saving there.

You should save to your user config.pro. Of course each company likely has their own setup on how they do this but typically it's either in your working directory or in your windows "home" folder.

My practice since discovering the issue has been two-fold.

1. I try not to make other options changes during that session of creo (yeah, like I'll remember to not do that when i think I really need to for whatever reason)

2. After creating a mapkey and saving it to the config using SAVE... (for the selected mapkey) or Changed, I have resorted to opening up the config.pro text file and copying that mapkey out to somewhere so I have it. lately I have been emailing them to myself (I'm an idiot but it works for me). That way, if the mapkey gets "lost" in a config save, I still have a copy of it.

Last point, when are they going to rename the the config.pro to config.cre...maybe i should submit that idea, I bet it would get top priority.

Steve

When I create a mapkey, I use the 'changed' button and retitle the mapkey file to start with the word 'mapkey' and end with a .txt suffix. If it is a mapkey that will be used frequently, I add it to a file that contains of a mapkey that loads other mapkeys. This way the config file only has one mapkey - the one that loads other mapkeys.

The result - the config doesn't change just due to mapkeys; with the txt suffix, the mapkey files are easy to edit with a text editor; because they are separate from the config, it is easier to share them; with the mapkey-loading mapkey, I can swap mapkeys as needed - that is, I could have 20 different sets of actions related to a single mapkey, dependent only on which one is loaded.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it is inconsistant for everyone then.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Consistantly inconsistant

exactly!

Top Tags