cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

stl modelling, a tale of three software pacakges

Wheelsofsteel
6-Contributor

stl modelling, a tale of three software pacakges

H i All

I have a problem which we need a workable solution for.

We need to make this as simple as possible as we are looking at processing this on evey batch of wheels so we can alter the programming to best suit the wheel, as heavy wheels damage our machinery.

We are trying to intergrate three software application to work as one process

these are

Creo 1.0

Vericut Machining simulation

Tecnogamma lazer scanner

What we are doing, the lazer scanner measures the hot forged wheel at the end of the roll process and it create a 3D STL file of the wheels surface from the collected data. as below

STL-LAZER-SCAN.JPG

Now we are trying to load this into Vericut, so we can get an idea of just how much metal is really being removed, but it doesn't like the fact that it is not concentric.

So, I have been trying to create a cross section by loading the STL file into a part and then creating a cross section, with the idea that I can use a sketch to create a revole feature for both the heavy side and the light side of the wheel to estimate the runout, I can then run the simulation on both and calculate the mass removed on each cut for both models.

STL-LAZER-SCAN-SECTION.JPG

Now the problem is, I can get this far, but it won't reference the STL part to allow me to create a sketch. I would just like to sketch on half of the cross section to create a revole feature.

Is there a solution to this

Thank you

Peter

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Will analysis not provide you with a centroid location? This should give you some idea of the runout, direction and degree.

We really need to be able to create a part from the section of the STL file, so we cun run it through Vericut, this will give us a real estimate on just how much contact the tip has at any point of the process, see this youtube link

http://youtu.be/-kOsYfB-oPI

The tool comes into shot around 40 second, we can see the contact are

Peter

Now I understand. I don't know that CAD/CAM will solve this without some special coding. I would suggest developing a maximum material "envelope" and programming to that.

Take a look at how the actual part is constrained in the lathe/mill (axle bore or other feature) and do an analysis on several castings to determine the variation based on the best effort located on the tool holding feature. That way, you can program the tool-path for the expected worst case where in some cases, the tool may not make a cut on the 1st pass, but you didn't break any tools either.

in CAD, you do have interference tools using cross sections. You can make an overlay model of several castings to determine the various profiles. It is a bit of up-front effort but once you have honed the process, you won't need to scan every wheel.

Of course, the machinist can also gauge each casting to get an idea of where to start if runtime is an issue. I would think the variation is not significant so a fairly tight envelope can be developed over a relatively short run of parts. after that, some sample scans can make sure the tooling remains within your defined parameter.

Sometimes, CAD/CAM isn't the final answer. Often times it just required common sense.

Top Tags