cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

AWS IoT Connector with ThingWorx 7.3

rwiseman
1-Newbie

AWS IoT Connector with ThingWorx 7.3

I am trying to run the AWS IoT Connector demo with ThingWorx 7.3 but am not getting very far.  I'm using the instructions in README.txt but they seem to be incomplete and don't quite align with the directory structure of the zip file containing the README.txt file.

For example, the third step in the second sequence says: "From within the repo directory go to aws-iot-dist-bundle/src/main/dist/demo, run npm install."  When I came this step, npm wasn't yet installed (although I'd installed nodejs already, via apt) and my directory structure doesn't contain aws-iot-dist-bundle/src/main/dist/demo.  I assume I should be in the demo directory that's in the root of the zip file – perhaps this is because I didn't need to clone the repo as it's all part of the zip file.

Also, the first step in the third sequence says: "Generate a new thing on the AWS IoT and Thingworx platform simultaneously..." but as far as I can tell, nowhere does it say how, where or even whether to configure the AWS IoT Connection.  (I wondered whether I need to log on to Composer and do some AWS configuration somewhere but it doesn't say I need to so I assume not.)  When I run the "node generate.js ..." command it looks like it's working but then fails:

Username (Thingworx): Administrator
Password (Thingworx): 
Creating Thing: mydrone
Enabling Thing: mydrone
Restarting Thing: mydrone
Failed to restart mydrone (404)
{"thingName":"mydrone"}
undefined:1
Thing [mydrone] is not running
^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token T
    at Object.parse (native)
    at IncomingMessage. (/home/richard/AWS extensions/TW_Download_AWS IoT Connector/Thingworx-AWS-IoT-Connector-1.1.1.5/demo/edge/generate.js:67:37)
    at emitNone (events.js:72:20)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:166:7)
    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:905:12)
    at nextTickCallbackWith2Args (node.js:441:9)
    at process._tickCallback (node.js:355:17)

I look in Composer at the Things in my ThingWorx instance and there's no Thing called mydrone.

Am I doing anything obviously daft?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:rwiseman)

Ah sorry about that, I'll check internally on access settings/ levels. I've attached the pdf version of the same document.

*Edit*

This pdf is also available on the Marketplace, so here's the link to that instead.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Aanjan
9-Granite

Richard, that readme file assumes that Extensions like the Connection Server Extension are installed and configured (along with AWSIoTSubsystem etc). Here's a link to our AWS IoT Connector's Installation and Operations guide that goes into detail on how to set everything up.

Thanks Aanjan.  I guess I don't have the right account though, because I get "PTC.com Account Not Authorized"!  Maybe it's something only people with support contracts get?

Aanjan
9-Granite

Ah sorry about that, I'll check internally on access settings/ levels. I've attached the pdf version of the same document.

*Edit*

This pdf is also available on the Marketplace, so here's the link to that instead.

Thanks Aanjan.  This looks like it'll be very useful.

Aanjan
9-Granite

No problem! On a side note, the access levels are being taken care of internally, so the entire Reference Documents section on the eSupport portal should be open for all users soon. I'll keep this thread posted.

Sorry, don't know how I missed it on the Marketplace!

Top Tags