cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Adding a ThingShape to a ThingTemplate which is non-editable

SrijithKrish
12-Amethyst

Adding a ThingShape to a ThingTemplate which is non-editable

Hi All,

I have a query related to adding a thing shape dynamically onto a thing template but the issue is that the thing template, as well as the shape, is part of an extension, which means they are non-editable. By attaching the shape to the template a new functionality will be achieved by the things created under that template.

Please let me know if there is a way to attach a shape to a template dynamically (non-editable template)

Thanks in Advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:SrijithKrish)

Hi @SrijithKrish 

You could create 2 templates.  One would be just the base template without the shape, and the 2nd one would be a new template that implements the 1st template and the shape.  You could actually eliminate the shape and just use 1 template to implement the 2nd template and make all entities non-editable.  These scenarios would prevent the need to dynamically attach the shape.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
abjain
13-Aquamarine

@SrijithKrish :You can try packaging entities as editable in your custom extension so that templates and shapes can be edited. Please check following article:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS323766

@abjain actually I do not require the entities to be editable. The entities should be non-editable themselves because no user should be able to edit within these entities. 

If I was to make the entities editable I will have to do it manually for all the entities separately and I am having more than 100 templates.

@abjain so here is it mentioning making an entity editable after importing as an extension. If that is the case will I be able to change the entity to editable and attach the shape and then turn it back to non-editable?

abjain
13-Aquamarine

@SrijithKrish Once you have made the entities as editable, then after importing you will not be able to make them as non-editable. You can also restrict users on permission level on these entities.

Also if you want to include Thingshapes in Thingtemplates at extension level itself, then you can go through below articles:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS235354

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS334941

@abjain my extension is created using all the XML files which are exported from one TWX instance. For eg. I export all the entities in XML format from one TWX instance and then build an extension using all the entity XML's and then import that extension into another TWX instance. After importing this extension I require to attach a thing shape to a template. I suppose the articles are mentioning about Java Extensions, I shall look into it too and see if I can find something.

Will my requirement be possible?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SrijithKrish 

You could create 2 templates.  One would be just the base template without the shape, and the 2nd one would be a new template that implements the 1st template and the shape.  You could actually eliminate the shape and just use 1 template to implement the 2nd template and make all entities non-editable.  These scenarios would prevent the need to dynamically attach the shape.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SrijithKrish

If one of the previous responses answered your question, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags