cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Cannot get OPC Server connected to Thingworx

augmentor
12-Amethyst

Cannot get OPC Server connected to Thingworx

Hi Community,

I`m running out of ideas when trying to connect my OPC UA server to the Thingworx platform..

That`s where I`m at and what I tried:

1. Connect to the Server with UA Expert or Prosys OPC Client >> works fine.

2. Use the OPC Client extension to connect to the Thingworx Platform:

• Create Application Key and test it by changing a property of a thing via URL >> works.
  • Create a Thing with RemoteOPCUAEndpoint Template.
  • Change the following parameters in the config.json file: host, port, app_key, thing_name, endpoint host, endpoint port.
  • Start the ThingWorx_OPC_UA_Client.jar file in the same network: Nothing happens. Note: When monitoring the OPC server on my raspberrypi I can see that the Server activates the session when using OPC UA Expert. When starting the ThingWorx_OPC_UA_Client.jar it also logs an incoming connection but can not activate the session and therefore closes the session.
  • Raspberrypi log from connection to UA Expert:                                                                                       [2019-04-11 10:35:26.836 (UTC+0100)] info/network Connection 5 | New connection over TCP from 192.168.0.124
    [2019-04-11 10:35:26.840 (UTC+0100)] info/channel Creating a new SecureChannel
    [2019-04-11 10:35:26.840 (UTC+0100)] warn/securitypolicy No PKI plugin set. Accepting all certificates
    [2019-04-11 10:35:26.840 (UTC+0100)] info/channel Connection 5 | SecureChannel 2 | Opened SecureChannel
    [2019-04-11 10:35:27.077 (UTC+0100)] info/session Connection 5 | SecureChannel 2 | Session 758b08c1-7716-06c1-1441-d44dcafcdfbd | ActivateSession: Session activated
  • Raspberrypi log after executing ThingWorx_OPC_UA_Client.jar:                                                            [2019-04-11 10:35:52.645 (UTC+0100)] info/network Connection 6 | New connection over TCP from 192.168.0.124
    [2019-04-11 10:35:52.704 (UTC+0100)] info/channel Creating a new SecureChannel
    [2019-04-11 10:35:52.705 (UTC+0100)] warn/securitypolicy No PKI plugin set. Accepting all certificates
    [2019-04-11 10:35:52.705 (UTC+0100)] info/channel Connection 6 | SecureChannel 3 | Opened SecureChannel
    [2019-04-11 10:35:52.755 (UTC+0100)] info/channel Connection 6 | SecureChannel 3 | CloseSecureChannel
    [2019-04-11 10:35:52.755 (UTC+0100)] info/network Connection 6 | Closed by the server

I suspect that I need to configure something in Thinworx to establish the connection, but I do not know what that could be.. I also could not connect the Prosys Simulation Server which undermines that point.

Would it be possible to use Kepware in Thingworx with a non-Kepware OPC UA server? I tried that but also did not succeed.

Are there any other options besides OPC UA client extension and Kepware?

Thanks a lot for whatever advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AnnaAn
13-Aquamarine
(To:augmentor)

Hi,

You could connect to a non-Kepware OPC UA server(OPC UA server that is not included in Kepware package) via OPC UA Client driver in Kepware. Please follow the documentation attached for more details.

ps. it happens that in the documentation it takes the example that both client and server are included in Kepware package, but it's not saying that OPC UA server should be included in Kepware package, it could be other kind of 3rd party OPC UA server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AnnaAn
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

As your question "Would it be possible to use Kepware in Thingworx with a non-Kepware OPC UA server? "

Yes you could connect to other kind of OPC UA server that is not included in Kepware package. In Kepware just use the OPC UA client to connect to a 3rd party OPC UA server and you could follow this documentation to configure both parts(it happens that both of the client and server are included in Kepware Package in the example in the documentation, but it's not saying it's only supporting OPC UA Server in Kepware package): 

AnnaAn
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

You could connect to a non-Kepware OPC UA server(OPC UA server that is not included in Kepware package) via OPC UA Client driver in Kepware. Please follow the documentation attached for more details.

ps. it happens that in the documentation it takes the example that both client and server are included in Kepware package, but it's not saying that OPC UA server should be included in Kepware package, it could be other kind of 3rd party OPC UA server.

augmentor
12-Amethyst
(To:AnnaAn)

Hi AnnaAn,

Thanks for the reply!

I`ve now used KEPServerEX 6 Configuration, to connect with my Server and the Thingworx Server. I`m now able to see the parameters in the KEPServerEX application. (Picture) How can i now bind them to the properties in Thingworx?

Is this the right approach? If I understand correctly, the KEPServer 6 on my PC is collecting the data from my other OPC UA server and then streams it to Thingworx.. Would this also be possible directly and not via my PC?

Thanks!

AnnaAn
13-Aquamarine

@augmentor ,

Regarding your question "Is this the right approach? If I understand correctly, the KEPServer 6 on my PC is collecting the data from my other OPC UA server and then streams it to Thingworx.. Would this also be possible directly and not via my PC?"

Yes that's correct approach to get OPC UA server data. If you install Kepware on another machine(say, same server to the OPC UA server, but it's not commanded) you will not need your PC to send data via your PC. The idea is that we use the kepware as a gateway to read data from OPC UA server and then as a OPC Server it sends data to the clients(say, ThingWorx)

That's a good start you have connected to OPC UA server via Kepware. Next step you would follow

this KCS Article  to know how to push Tag value to ThingWorx platform.

augmentor
12-Amethyst

Thanks for the clear explanation, makes sense now.

Could you please link the article you were referring to again? The Hyperlink sends me to the current topic

AnnaAn
13-Aquamarine

Sorry my mistake. Sent to you again. https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS279234 Br, Anna
augmentor
12-Amethyst

Thank you!

Top Tags