cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Error Installing Thingworx 8.5 trial version on Windows Azure VM

atidwel
4-Participant

Error Installing Thingworx 8.5 trial version on Windows Azure VM

I am trying to install the most recent Thingworx 8.5 trial on a Windows 10 Pro Azure VM. The installer always fails with "A problem occurred during installation that may cause an unsuccessful installation. foundation Installation Failed" and then I get another message, "There has been an error. ThingWorx Foundation Trial for H2 installation failed. Please check the logs. The application will exit now." We've tried this install multiple times, with different developer accounts, both SSL and not, to no avail. Upon checking the logs, it looks like the install of the chef client failed (this happens every time). See below (also attached log files). I need this install to develop a POC for a customer, and cannot begin development until we can actually install the trial. Any help is appreciated.

"Executing C:\opscode\chef\bin\chef-client
Error running C:\opscode\chef\bin\chef-client -z --config "C:/PROGRA~2/ThingWorxFoundationH2Trial-8.5.0\installer\foundation\knife.rb" -j "C:/PROGRA~2/ThingWorxFoundationH2Trial-8.5.0\installer\foundation.json" -L "C:/PROGRA~2/ThingWorxFoundationH2Trial-8.5.0\installer\logs\foundation-20200501171939.log": Program ended with an error exit code
[17:22:00] ThingWorx Foundation Trial for H2: rc=1
[17:22:00] foundation Installation Failed
[17:22:00] - Post Installation Action List: Step install via chef script failed :: 1"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:atidwel)

Hi @atidwel 

From the log it appears that you are having a JRE installed on the machine which is pointed by the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

You should have a JDK.

Could you please make sure to install a 1.8 JDK and set JAVA_HOME to point to this JDK

Also could be useful to look at  c:/progra~2/thingworxfoundationh2trial-8.5.0/installer/foundation/local-mode-cache/cache/chef-stacktrace.out 

Hope this helps

Christophe

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @atidwel 

From the log it appears that you are having a JRE installed on the machine which is pointed by the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

You should have a JDK.

Could you please make sure to install a 1.8 JDK and set JAVA_HOME to point to this JDK

Also could be useful to look at  c:/progra~2/thingworxfoundationh2trial-8.5.0/installer/foundation/local-mode-cache/cache/chef-stacktrace.out 

Hope this helps

Christophe

atidwel
4-Participant
(To:cmorfin)

I do have a 1.8 Oracle JDK installed on the machine, but my JAVA_HOME wasn't pointing to it. I'll try that out, thanks!

atidwel
4-Participant

This worked, thank you so much!

Kalpesh744
6-Contributor

I have the same error while installing Thingworx foundation Trial version on Windows 10.I am attaching here log file too.I've followed all the steps mentioned as solution but not get through yet.

I have checked Java version ,which is ok

Untitled.png

.Pointed JDK file to "JAVA_HOME" in Environment Variables.Clear registry and temp folder after each unsuccessful attempt but still I have the same issue.

Anyone please help me out here.

log file:::::

Log started 05/11/2020 at 20:12:58
Preferred installation mode : win32
Trying to init installer in mode win32
Mode win32 successfully initialized
Executing sc
Error running sc query ThingWorx-Foundation: Program ended with an error exit code
[20:13:02] - Started Executing preInstallationActionList Actions... NOTSET
[20:13:02] Checking minimum system and software requirements...
Setting variable total_memory from .\get_total_memory
[20:13:09] - Valid Java executable path: C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-14.0.1/bin/java.exe...

[20:13:09] - HOST_JAVA_HOME path: C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JDK-14~1.1...

[20:13:09] Checking minimum system and software requirements for foundation...
Executing cmd

ThingWorx Foundation Trial for H2 Installation in Progress...
Executing C:\opscode\chef\bin\chef-client
Error running C:\opscode\chef\bin\chef-client -z --config "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1.0\installer\foundation\knife.rb" -j "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1.0\installer\foundation.json" -L "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1.0\installer\logs\foundation-20200511201556.log": Program ended with an error exit code
[20:17:27] ThingWorx Foundation Trial for H2: rc=172
[20:17:27] foundation Installation Failed
[20:17:27] - Post Installation Action List: Step install via chef script failed :: 1

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:Kalpesh744)

Hi @Kalpesh744 

You do have a jdk 1.8 as return by your command java -version but you also have a jdk 14 which , unfortunately, is the one picked up by the installer, hence the failure.

Can you please uninstall JDK 14 and try again .

If you still have issue, please post a new issue and upload your log files

Thanks

Christophe

Kalpesh744
6-Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Here I have uninstalled JAVA 14 .Same error occurs.

atidwel
4-Participant

JDK 1.8 is Oracle JDK, correct? I figure as much, but can't hurt to check. Thingworx doesn't support OpenJDK. Also, did you create and set a JAVA_HOME system environment variable? And did you modify your Path system environment variable to point to JAVA_HOME\bin? See screenshots below.

atidwel
4-Participant

@Kalpesh744 Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I have both jre 1.8 and JDK 1.8 installed. My system environment variable paths however are all pointing to JDK 1.8. Hope this helps! 

Kalpesh744
6-Contributor

I have downloaded ORACLE JRE 1.8  and installed it but same error coming.

Kalpesh744
6-Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Yup .It's Oracle JDK 1.8.I have already set JAVA_HOME in environment variable. It;s pointed at JDK file and yes, PATH in system is also pointed at JAVA_HOME.

atidwel
4-Participant

The system environment variable needs to be %JAVA_HOME%\bin - not just %JAVA_HOME%. I'm not sure what else is going wrong... that's all I did and the installer worked for me. Have you installed the trial version before using the same developer account? You can only have 1 trial version per account.

Kalpesh744
6-Contributor

Kalpesh744_0-1589381469126.png

Kalpesh744_1-1589381524051.png

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @atidwel.

If you have run the installer several times, you will need to fully remove the remnants of the previous attempts.  It may be easier to create a new VM.  Also, be sure to fully comply with the system requirements.

Regards.

--Sharon

atidwel
4-Participant
(To:slangley)

I used Program & Features to uninstall, and then used CCleaner to clean the registry files. If there are any remnants of the previous install left, the installer will throw an error and won't run.

Top Tags