cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Error while importing google map widget

SO_9699370
10-Marble

Error while importing google map widget

Hi All, 

I ma getting a error when I am importing google map widget in Thingworx 9.1. Can you please have a look and let me know why is the issue coming. 

Below is the error message -

ERROR [widget] "CustomCSS" widget type is missing required member widgetProperties()

I am also attaching the widget zip file for reference. 

Regards

Swaraj Ostwal

Kind Regards
SO
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
suverma
12-Amethyst
(To:SO_9699370)

Hi @SO_9699370

It appears that it is necessary to activate the billing for maps to work well but they won’t charge you for anything unless you have over 20,000 people viewing your map each month. Here are some links from internet mentioning the same:

Google Maps shows “For development purposes only” 

Solving Google Maps ‘For Development Purposes Only’ Error 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

I was able to import the google widget extension you provided on my Thingworx 9.1 instance. Please check if "ExtensionPackageImportPolicy" tag is present in your platform-settings.json file or not. 

odukiya
15-Moonstone

Hello @SO_9699370 

If you are still facing the issue than please share the log files from thingworx storage folder. And as mentioned by sachin please also check for ExtensionPackageImportPolicy section under platformsettings.json.

Thanks

Om Dukiya

Hi @odukiya and @SachinSharma 

I have checked the platfrom-setting.json it has ExtensionPackageImportPolicy section in which all field are true. I am attaching log as per your request to help me better. 

Kind Regards
SO
odukiya
15-Moonstone

Hello @SO_9699370 

I cannot see anything  related to map widget here in the logs. It seems they are current log where might be you haven't tried the import. Can you please try importing it again and than share the logs of that particular time?

If there are any error message over the composer itself you can share the screenshot of that too.

Thanks

Om Dukiya

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SO_9699370.

You need to download the version compatible with 9.1:

GoogleExt.PNG

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @odukiya and @slangley 

I am attached application log, At 6:30 am I tried importing but didn't work  and again at 8:30 am with the extension that Sharon mentioned, but not luck. 

Regards

Swaraj

Kind Regards
SO

As per the logs it seems that the extension is already imported. Following is the entry in the logs 'Extension GoogleWidgets_ExtensionPackage:3.1.1 skipped because it is already installed'

Can you check from composer if there is a GoogleWidget extension?

Hi @SachinSharma

Yup this time the map is present in the list of widget, but when I place the widget in the mashup, it says google maps are not available. 

Kind Regards
SO
odukiya
15-Moonstone

Hello @SO_9699370 

It seems you have not configured Google API key which is required here.

Please refer the following article for the same

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS188314

Feel free to revert in case you still face any further challenges.

Thanks

Om Dukiya

You can refer help center as well for steps to configure the Google Maps API key. If you still see the same behavior then remove the google widget extension(make sure all the related entities are deleted) and then reimport the extension.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @SO_9699370.

We've also seen issues requiring a user to clear the browser cache in order for the widget to show up in the mashup builder.  Once you've confirmed your configuration, if you still have issues, please give this is a try.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @SachinSharma@odukiya and @slangley

Firstly thanks for the detailed information about google widget and API key. Here's what happened. 

1. I created a API string for google map as per the guide. 

2. I tried checking the metadata,xml of the widget to replace the connection string but I couldn't find API key related string. As shown below the "//replace this - https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false" section doesn't exist the XML data.

// replace this
https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false

// with this
https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?key=API_KEY&sensor=
false 

3. As per other documentation in PTC help center i tried to set google map connection string with the service. It worked but now I see the map say give pop-message and say "This page can't load google maps correctly" and if we hit OK the maps shows up with a message "for development purpose only". 

4. I tried putting connecting string in the PlatfromSubsystem>>configuration under the Required string to connect with google for Google Widgets but no change. 

5. I even cleared my cache and tried. Restarted Tomcat to see if it makes any difference. Even used incognito mode on chrome, but no luck. 

I am attaching metadata.xml for information.

Kind Regards

Swaraj Ostwal

Kind Regards
SO
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SO_9699370.

Give me a little time to test this myself and I will try to advise further.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley , 

Did you get a chance to see what's happening? I will be keen to know. 

Thanks

Swaraj

Kind Regards
SO
suverma
12-Amethyst

Hi Swaraj,

I read the steps last performed by you and would like to add inline points for few of them:

2. I tried checking the metadata,xml of the widget to replace the connection string but I couldn't find API key related string. As shown below the "//replace this - https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false" section doesn't exist the XML data. This was only for older versions, widgets above 3.1.0 will not require this to be added. 

3. As per other documentation in PTC help center i tried to set google map connection string with the service. It worked but now I see the map say give pop-message and say "This page can't load google maps correctly" and if we hit OK the maps shows up with a message "for development purpose only". Please ensure your connection string value is: https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=<Your API key>

You can also follow this tutorial to Configure Google Map: Configure Google Map Widget 

Do revert back if you are still facing issue while configuring Google Map.

Regards,

Sudeepta

Hi @suverma

I tired the tutorial you mentioned. I can see the location on the map but the water mark and "For development purposes only" message don't go. I tried creating another key and using it, still no luck. Is it that I have to purchase a key because i am using a free key which allows 25000 calls a day to map. 

Thanks

SO 

Kind Regards
SO
suverma
12-Amethyst

Hi @SO_9699370

It appears that it is necessary to activate the billing for maps to work well but they won’t charge you for anything unless you have over 20,000 people viewing your map each month. Here are some links from internet mentioning the same:

Google Maps shows “For development purposes only” 

Solving Google Maps ‘For Development Purposes Only’ Error 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SO_9699370.

If you feel your issue has been resolved, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same problem.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags