cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Error with ThingWorx Trial Edition 8.2 installation

Ju
10-Marble
10-Marble

Error with ThingWorx Trial Edition 8.2 installation

Hello,

I have an error when installing the ThingWorx Trial Edition 8.2. (In attachment, the logs files.)

Previously, I have installed Docker with no problem.

Thanks for your help.

Julien

12 REPLIES 12
Leigh
Community Manager
(To:Ju)

Hi Julien,

Sorry to hear about your issue with the 8.2 Trial Edition installation.  I have reached out to the team which supports Trial Editions, however, for your reference,  you are also able to reach out to them directly via TWX-DevZoneHelp@ptc.com.

Best Regards,
Leigh

jwyatt
10-Marble

Greetings, I've looked through the installation logs you provided (thank you, btw). It appears that the first errors are that you had a previously-existing installation of TTE (or a failed installation at some previous point, and this current install attempt is still detecting "leftovers"). At present, when you uninstall a previous version of TTE (or have a failed install), a folder named "ThingWorxTrialEdition" is left behind. It's located in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory. You *MUST* manually delete this folder prior to installation, or the new install will fail. In addition, you must manually delete the old DockerMachinePTC Docker Container. You do this by opening a CLI with Admin privileges. You then issue the command "docker-machine rm DockerMachinePTC". Both steps should be performed immediately upon uninstall / failed-install of any TTE version (or at least prior to any re-install / upgrade attempt). These items and more are covered in the TTE installation instructions, which are part of the .zip download of TTE. We encourage reading the install instructions cover-to-cover prior to attempting an install, as there are definitely some "gotchas" such as described above. If you've already attempted these steps and are still experiencing an issue, please let us know. Thank you, Jason
Ju
10-Marble
10-Marble
(To:jwyatt)

Hello,

I have made several installs. Each time, I have deleted or renamed the folder "ThingWorxTrialEdition". Maybe this time I forgot...

About the DockerMachinePTC, I tried to delete it but it is not present. (When the install fail, many things are deleted automatically).

I think the main problem is here is log file:

Waiting for ThingWorx platform...
Executing check-http-response.exe -username "Administrator" -password "trUf6yuz2?_Gub" -hostname "192.168.99.1" -hostport "8080"
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
Waiting for platform to start
Error: Status code was not 200 after 5 minutes

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running check-http-response.exe -username "Administrator" -password "trUf6yuz2?_Gub" -hostname "192.168.99.1" -hostport "8080": Program ended with an error exit code

The process can't get an answer from platform. I tried to deactivate windows firewall but still the same error.

I see that the installation use VirtualBox. On my computer, I have VmWare player installed. Can this be a problem ?

Any other idea ?

Thanks again.

Julien

jwyatt
10-Marble

As per the install instructions, we require the following:

Docker 17.09.0-ce if newer Windows

Docker Toolbox if Windows 7

I'm afraid I've never heard of "VmWare Player". VmWare Player is not something which is mentioned in the installation documentation as being supported.

And from the Docker installation instructions, they appear to only specifically call out Oracle VirtualBox:

https://docs.docker.com/machine/get-started/#prerequisite-information

I would definitely suggest using VirtualBox and the appropriate Docker as the next step.

Once again, please remember to uninstall TTE as Admin, delete the appropriate Windows folder that is left over, and issue the Admin CLI "docker-machine rm DockerMachinePTC" command before attempting the next install with VirtualBox present.

Thank you,

Jason

Hi @jwyatt@Ju

I'm also running into the same issue with same errors in log files.

I always delete the AnalyticsTrialEdition folder but the entry for DockerMachinePTC doesn't exist at this point of installation. The error is with the ThingworxFoundationH2 installation like described above:

Error: Status code was not 200 after 5 minutes

But I even have the specified  Oracle VirtualBox that comes with DockerToolbox.

Here are the version infos:

DockerToolbox: 18.03.0-ce

Oracle VirtualBox: 5.2.8

Thingworx ATE: 8.2 

I've also attached my log files but they are pretty much the same as @Ju.

I've looked through your error logs, and I agree that the issue appears to be that the ThingWorx platform isn't responding, so the installation gives up and auto-uninstalls. 

Interestingly, the IP addressed being assigned to Foundation is non-typical. 

In *EVERY* install I've ever tried, Foundation gets assigned 192.168.99.100 (or, occasionally, 101). 

Your address of 192.168.43.37 is... strange. 

Have you made any manual changes to the configuration of either VirtualBox or Docker to specify the acceptable IP ranges? 

If not, then I'm afraid we've likely reached the end of my expertise. 

The next step would be to open an official PTC Support Ticket:

https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/cs/auth/ssl/log#_ga=2.232056540.2108881924.1525178792-1450366001.1524491783

Or if that link doesn't work, then you can simply go to support.ptc.com and click on the "Open a Support Case" in the bottom-right. 

If you're not already a PTC customer, though, I don't believe you'll be able to complete the ticket process, as you need a customer number. In that case, might I suggest reaching out to PTC Sales to see if they could open a ticket on your behalf. 

Jason

Hi @jwyatt,

Thanks for your reply, m really in a bind here.

So TW ATE was in fact working earlier (with said IP address: 192.168.99.100) in my machine but it did not have the ThingPredictor component working for which I've created another post. So I tried reinstalling ATE again along with docker and virtualbox. This issue started appearing on reinstalling though. Except this, there wasn't any configuration changes I've done. Regarding the strange IP address, I've also had failed installation with IPs like 192.168.99.101 ... 99.107. I've reinstalled a couple of times at this point. This feels like some configuration from previous installs is being leftover or something.

To uninstall, I first run analytics_trial_edition_uninstall, then delete the AnalyticsTrialEdition folder, uninstall DockerToolbox, uninstall virtualbox, delete .docker and .virtualbox folders from Users folder. I think that's pretty much it. Isn't it?

I'll contact the PTC sales anyhow...

You're absolutely correct that the DevPortal previously had the incorrect version of ATE, i.e. r2. 

As of this morning, we're now hosting the r3 version which has ThingPredictor included. 

I tested this r3 ATE myself before uploading to our site and confirmed that it worked without issue for both the Analytics Builder and Manager guides.

I'm currently in the process of downloading the now-hosted version just to absolutely recheck it. But feel free to try and do so yourself as well.

Just to go through the uninstall / install process one more time:

1) right-click on "analytics trial stop" and select "run as administrator"

2) right-click on "analytics trial uninstall" and select "run as administrator" 

3) delete the Program Files (x86) \ AnalyticsTrialEdition folder

4) search for "cmd.exe" in Windows, right-click it, and select "run as administrator"

5) in the admin CLI, run the following command: docker-machine rm -f DockerMachinePTC

*) note that, while looking through the documentation, I noticed the -f command addition; might be important, though I've never needed to do that before

6) reboot your computer (just to make sure everything with Docker is well and truly wiped)

7) right-click on the ATE r3 install file you downloaded, and select "run as administrator"

That really should be it. I'm very sorry that you're having such a difficult time with it.

Unfortunately, the DevPortal simply hosts the 120-day trials. We didn't create them, nor can we modify them. 

I just happen to have noticed a few tricks which can help out, as per above. 

Anything beyond that would need to be PTC Tech Support.

Thank you,

Jason

Hi @jwyatt,

Can you give me the link to ATE r3 download page.

Or will this page download ATE r3 automatically now?

thanks again for replying

Update: I'm downloading r3 now... will make sure to follow exact uninstallation steps and get back to you.

Yes, sir. 

That's the DevPortal's download page for ATE. 

All we did was update the link.

When the download finishes, it should have an "r3" at the end of it. 

Specifically: Thingworx-Analytics-Trial-Edition-8-2-r3.zip

Thank you,

Jason

Hi @jwyatt,

So I've been able to fix the error that I was having with the installation.

The problem was in the VirtualBox Global > Network Settings which have some wrong IP like 192.168.56.1 which when changing to 192.168.99.100 solves the problem and the setup is able to move forward.

However it's a weird successful installation 'cuz there are still some other errors in the install logs even when the setup is successful.

Also even though the DockerMachinePTC gets created, no respective VM is listed in VirtualBox UI.

Everything is working fine though, except ThingPredictor for which I've updated the relevant post.

I'm also attaching the install logs for you guys to look into.

CRArko
17-Peridot

Hello, Julien.

Have Jason Wyatt's replies provided sufficient information for you to get past this?

If so, please mark it as Solution Accepted, and if not let us know your current situation.

Thanks!

-- Craig A.

Top Tags