cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Extension Development - Server Restart

benjaminlhind
6-Contributor

Extension Development - Server Restart

Hi,

we have several Developers working with local Thingworx instances. The make Mashups, Things, Services etc complete locally. When they are ready we make a Extension with a metadata.xml file and zip it to import it in Thingworx. 

This works perfectly in the last time. But currently there comes the message "Import requires platform restart." while trying to import.
Why does it need to restart the platform? There are no jar files or something else in the extension. Just Entities/ and some Things, Mashups, etc (only xml files).

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Can you please provide:

1. The Thingworx version you are using.

2. (If possible) Can you give a simple zip example to show the zip structure, metadata.xml content and Entities folder?

3. Do you import the extension to override previously imported one? (with a newer version?) 

benjaminlhind
6-Contributor
(To:ashaban)

1 => We use Thingworx in version 8.4.3.

2 => I attached a zip example. Its just simple Folders with xml files.

3 => Yes, we change the version to a newer version and update an existing extension.

@benjaminlhind 

1. Are you seeing just this message while importing "Import requires platform restart" ?Could you please provide the exact error/whole message which you are seeing while importing.

2. Are you seeing any errors in tomcat and application logs when the message is popping up?

Thanks,

Vibhuti

benjaminlhind
6-Contributor
(To:vangne)

Yes, I attached some screenshots from the messages.

Its just: "Import requires platform restart" in the standard import window, and some outputs in Application.log

@benjaminlhind  I imported successfully at my end your provided "zip-example.zip" in the previous response.

The attached logs screenshot says that extension is imported successfully. Not giving much detailed information.

• Is it a fresh installation of ThingWorx?
  • Or is it an installation that has been running for some time?
  • Have you attempted to restart the platform as requested?

If not, can you please restart the tomcat/platform and try importing to see if you receive the same warning/message? Please provide logs for more investigation.

You can find ThingWorx and Tomcat logs here:

Tomcat Logs

ThingWorx logs

This article might be helpful:  https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS293697

Top Tags