cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How do I link ThingWorx 9.1 with AWS IoT Core?

Bill_Wang
9-Granite

How do I link ThingWorx 9.1 with AWS IoT Core?

Hello comunity,

I want to use AWS as data storage to connect with ThingWorx.

But, I found that in the tutorial video, the original video about AWS IoT link has been removed and changed to Azure tutorial video.

So, where can I learn how to link ThingWorx 9.1 to AWS IoT?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Bill_Wang ,

We can not give more suggestions to this because it would require us spending time on your system/setup to understand what's happening, and even in that case it might be a totally unknown issue requiring hours of work.

Certificate-based problems are fairly common, and you'll struggle a bit to understand the concepts, but once you do it will all make sense. I suggest reading some tutorials to understand how a certificate works.

However, you might also hit infrastructure problems, like some firewall that blocks communication (and that firewall might not be always under your control, making in turn a nasty experience).

Whenever I see issues like this, I try to take out of equation the infrastructure elements that are in-between. For example, I'd try to install Kepware in a VM in the same AWS cloud region and see if that works fine, or if Kepware works from your own computer. Basically everything to eliminate what could trigger the issues you see.

If your company has an active subscription to ThingWorx and/or Kepware, you can always open a Tech Support case - I saw you did that, what's the outcome from that case?

Unfortunately, the best solution here is to try to locate one of your colleagues which has a bit more experience with this domain, or, if you can, to use some of our Professional Services in PTC to help you set this up - reach out to your sales person and ask him for this.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Hello Bill,

pls check whether the given article is useful for you:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs358761

Kindly revert back if you have any further queries.

Regards

Bhawna

Hi Bhawna,

Thanks for the suggestion.

But, what I need is ThingWorx to AWS, not Azure, do you have any information about this?

Best Regards

Bill

Hi,

1. From "Help Center" - "ThingWorx Foundation on AWS": https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Installation/DeploymentArchitecture/other_deployments__thingworx_foundation_on_aws.html 

2. Some helpful articles:

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your detailed reply.

articles : "How to ingested Kepware data into ThingWorx via AWS IoT Connector" is very helpful.

But I'm having a new problem, after I follow all the steps to set it up

1. Create Thing in AWS,

2. Download and activate certificate, attach a policy in AWS Thing,

3. Import certificate in Kepware IoT Gateway setting page,

4. Create a new IoT Gateway agent, set the URL address and TLS Configuration,

5. Reinitialize Kepware.

And the following error message appears in kerpware, "MQTT agent 'Agent Name' failed to connect - reason: 'unable to find valid certification path to requested target'." (as shown in the attached image).

How can I solve this problem.

The version of kepware I am using is KEPServerEX 6.5 / ThingWorx Industrial Connectivity 8.3.65.

Best Regards

Bill

Hello @Bill_Wang ,

After analyzing the attached errors, it seems like certificate issue. pls check the given article link and post:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS307827

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/How-to-solve-SSLHandshakeException/td-p/514206

Also I would recommend you to open the case with PTC support.

Regards

Bhawna

Hi @bchaudhary ,

Thank you for the advice. How can I open the case with PTC support?

As you can see, I am new to thingworx and don't know how to open the case.

Best Regards,

Bill

Hi @VladimirN ,

Thanks to your information, I have successfully built a case with PTC support.

Best Regards,

Bill

You're welcome.

Hi Bill,

Please see the "Troubleshooting" section in the manual - "IoT Gateway".

Pic_1.png

Hi, 

Thank you for helping me again. I have tried all the methods suggested in the manual, but I still can't connect to AWS IoT Core. The error message displayed is still the same (MQTT agent 'Agent Name' failed to connect - reason: 'unable to find valid certification path to requested target').

Is it possible that because I installed kepware in the virtual machine?

I also tried other methods, such as upgrading KepServerEX to version 6.11, but I still can't connect successfully, but the error message became different. It shows (MQTT agent <agent name> disconnected. Reason - Connect ion lost .). Then, I tried all the suggested solutions from the manual again, but still couldn't connect.

Can you please give me more suggestion to solve this problem, I will be very grateful.

Best Regards

Bill

Hi @Bill_Wang ,

We can not give more suggestions to this because it would require us spending time on your system/setup to understand what's happening, and even in that case it might be a totally unknown issue requiring hours of work.

Certificate-based problems are fairly common, and you'll struggle a bit to understand the concepts, but once you do it will all make sense. I suggest reading some tutorials to understand how a certificate works.

However, you might also hit infrastructure problems, like some firewall that blocks communication (and that firewall might not be always under your control, making in turn a nasty experience).

Whenever I see issues like this, I try to take out of equation the infrastructure elements that are in-between. For example, I'd try to install Kepware in a VM in the same AWS cloud region and see if that works fine, or if Kepware works from your own computer. Basically everything to eliminate what could trigger the issues you see.

If your company has an active subscription to ThingWorx and/or Kepware, you can always open a Tech Support case - I saw you did that, what's the outcome from that case?

Unfortunately, the best solution here is to try to locate one of your colleagues which has a bit more experience with this domain, or, if you can, to use some of our Professional Services in PTC to help you set this up - reach out to your sales person and ask him for this.

Hi @VladimirRosu,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

The problem has been solved. After I reinstalled a new VM and then installed Thingworx, I was able to connect to the aws iot server properly after re-running all the setup steps.

It looks like the problem was with the VM and not with the Thingworx setup.

Thanks for all the help from partners.

Top Tags