cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to obtain device-id (licenceRequestFile) when thingworxs not starting to generate one

feil
11-Garnet

How to obtain device-id (licenceRequestFile) when thingworxs not starting to generate one

Everyone knows how I can generate an device-id respectively licenceRequestFile if thingworxs is not starting because the licence is not valid any more? 
We renewed our licence and would like to activate thingworxs via offline-mode because we have a  strict company proxy which we cannot deactivate and ptc don't think about implementing an proxy setting for communicating with the licence-server.

Anyone has an idea?

9 REPLIES 9
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:feil)

Please refer to this article https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271439

Let me know if this helps (or doesn't)!

feil
11-Garnet
(To:posipova)

That's absolutely not helpful! That was the first think I found and read before I createt this topic. If you know the article and read my problem you would know that I can not do what's suggested in the article because I cannot start thingworx, I quote....
If licenseRequestFile.txt does not exist(as mentioned in the article), use one of the following two methods for obtaining the Device ID:

1. Run the GetInstanceID service on Subsystems > LicensingSubsystem
    2. Review \ThingworxStorage\logs\ApplicationLog.log for the startup information

and the logs also don't show my DeviceID or help in any other way. So what should I do know?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @feil.

May I suggest that we open a case for this issue?  If you can provide the ThingWorx version you're running, I will be happy to do so on your behalf.

Regards.

--Sharon

feil
11-Garnet
(To:slangley)

I already opened a case C14956181.
I thought perhaps I'm not the only one with this problem.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @feil.

Issues like this generally require an in-depth look at your machine requiring a WebEx, so most often will require a case.

I see that you're running the latest version of ThingWorx and you are correct that the Device ID no longer appears in the log for the latest releases.

Once the issue is resolved, if you could post the solution here, it would be most appreciated.

Regards.

--Sharon

feil
11-Garnet

Yes. I think the second solution mentioned in the article  CS271439 is to look into the logs. So it assumes that the device-id is outputted in the logs!?
Do you know a version where it's still outputted in the logs?

Why did ptc changed that, if now there is no other way to get the device-id???

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @feil.

I've reached out to R&D to find out why the Device ID no longer appears in the logs, but I think that change occurred with the 8.4 releases--possibly for security reasons.  However, I thought of another way to get the Device ID.  If you can forward your license file, I will check it to obtain the Device ID--assuming it was a commercial license and not a trial.

Regards.

--Sharon

feil
11-Garnet

Hi.

I have the "old" device-id for the license-file. The problem is that I deleted the thingworxStorage and thingworxPlattform folders with the keystore in it. Is assume when I now install the thingworx and it creates a new keystore, a new id is generated  and I assume that's different to the old one I have!?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @feil.

Yes, I would expect the Device ID to be different under those circumstances.

At this point, you will need to work with the Tech Support engineer assigned to your case for resolving the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags