cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to recover localhost password of thingworx composer if i forgot my password

kborkar
1-Newbie

How to recover localhost password of thingworx composer if i forgot my password

i have set Administrator password and i am trying to login but it seems i am trying to enter invalid is there any way to get my password back or set it without having older one...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:kborkar)

Hi Kedar,

If you have any other Administrator user then you can reset the Password using that user.

If you have setup Organization and Administrator is part of it then you can use reset password option there to reset the Password.

If none of the above is true then we can check with R&D for changes in Database (Only for Postgresql DB) (not preferred as PTC does not support changes to the Database directly).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ankigupta
5-Regular Member

Hi Kedar,

If you have any other Administrator user then you can reset the Password using that user.

If you have setup Organization and Administrator is part of it then you can use reset password option there to reset the Password.

If none of the above is true then we can check with R&D for changes in Database (Only for Postgresql DB) (not preferred as PTC does not support changes to the Database directly).

posipova
20-Turquoise

In addition to Ankit's questions -- do you have an administrator appkey set up?

yes we have setup one app key with administrator user and used that to connect to it with java

can we do anything with java code to update password?

is there any methods to update thingworx admin password with java...?

posipova
20-Turquoise

You can do a REST API call using your admin appkey and change your Adminsitrator password.

katte
1-Newbie

For Administrator password only with Thingworx Postgresql - Yes there is a way to reset.

Though this is not officially recommended by ThingWorx, this should work (like a hack) in resetting the password. Follow the below steps: 

Step-1: In a temporary postgresql server, deploy thingworx database using the thingworx Install scripts (provided in the distribution package). This would create a database with default user-passwords. Now, you can take a backup of user_model table (pgadmin would be easy for a specific table backup). Modify the backup sql file - if needed you can delete the COPY commands for 'System' and 'SuperUser' rows. Save the file.

Step-2:  If you have access to the actual Postgresql database server, you can navigate through 'thingworx' database -> user_model table and delete a row with name as 'administrator' (make sure to use a sql query to delete the row). And now import/restore the sql file obtained in step-1. This would add a row in 'user_model' table with default Administrator user and password.

Let me know if that works.

-Giri

kborkar
1-Newbie
(To:katte)

i think we have neo thingworx database

ankigupta
5-Regular Member

Kedar Borkar​, Please check following Post if it helps: How to reset Password for users using Administrator Appkey

Hi Ankit Gupta​ i have recovered that project as we have backup but i have tried the api process also.

When i try to send post request to admin user it requires authentication of admin.

So, this won't work if we don't have extra admin user.

Thanks

Top Tags