cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is it possible to raise message from Expression or Validation ?

seanccc
17-Peridot

Is it possible to raise message from Expression or Validation ?

Hi , 

Is it possible to raise message from Expression or Validation ?  do we have certain TW.runtime function support this ? 

Regards,

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aaand another quick comment to say that what you asked is now possible in 8.5. There is a new type of function available in Mashup, called "Status Message". More info here: http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_8_hc/en/#page/ThingWorx%2FHelp%2FMashup_Builder%2FFunctions%2FFunctions.html%23wwID0ELTQ3

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The output of Expression can be a String, so you can get the message.

seanccc
17-Peridot
(To:zyuan1)

@zyuan1 ,

I want to display the raised message as the floating message box,  just like the message of calling the service .   is it possible ? 

Hi. The expression itself does not allow that. It is only meant to do some small logic on the input parameters. What you need is the Navigation widget, that has a popup mode. If you assign the Navigation widget a mashup with a parameter, that will appear as a property at the widget level, which you can bind to the result of the expression.

@VladimirRosu ,

if use popup of navigation widget then the message style is different with the message of service,  I want to always have a unified look&feel for displaying any message .  

Maybe it's possible to use CSS  to simulate the same look&feel with Service message, but for such a  function independent feature ,  I don't think it should be implemented by every project ,  it should be a feature of the ThingWorx itself.   

Old comment:

"You will get the same unified Look and Feel with the navigation if you provide to each Navigation popup the same "MessageMashup" which is styled with your UI guidelines, and it is not really needed to use CSS .

I agree with the fact that raising a message from an expression is something that would be nice, but my personal experience is that in such a case, I'm 100% sure that somebody will want to style that message box to add more information to it, maybe a picture etc, and then add a third button that does something custom for his usecase...the list goes on. With the approach above you will have much more flexibility.

I'm happy to take a look in your use-case and any other issues you might have - just drop me a private message and we can have a webex (I will be in holiday until 26th of September though)"

Later edit: I read again the thread, and I believe I understand now what you mean. Please add a new Idea in the IOT /ThingWorx Ideas subforum for this issue.

Aaand another quick comment to say that what you asked is now possible in 8.5. There is a new type of function available in Mashup, called "Status Message". More info here: http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_8_hc/en/#page/ThingWorx%2FHelp%2FMashup_Builder%2FFunctions%2FFunctions.html%23wwID0ELTQ3

@VladimirRosu ,

Thank you for the information.  That's exactly what I want 

Regards,

Sean

Top Tags