cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Is there a documentation available on DashBoard

rsharma
6-Contributor

Is there a documentation available on DashBoard

I have built a few mashups. However, I am not sure how to put that in a Dashboard.

Is Dashboard a collection of individual mashups? For mashups, there is a direct URL for users to see. However, how do users get to see the dashboard.

Sorry, my questions are dumb.

Appreciate any input on dashboard.

Thanks,

Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jdass
12-Amethyst
(To:ytella)

Hi Ravi ,

Just to add to what Yamini already mentioned. Gadgets are reusable mashups that can be added to the Dashboard as many times as you can. You need to create a mashup called GadgetLibraryMashup and add the Gadgets to it first. Because GadgetLibraryMashup contains the Gadgets that can be added to the Dashboard.

Below are the steps on how to create Gadget, Gadget Library Mashup and Dashboard Mashup from the help center. Hope it helps!

Dashboards are made up of gadgets. Gadgets are reusable contained mashups that have additional metadata to handle the sizing requirements of a dashboard. Any widget and service can be used in a gadget, and gadgets can display historical or current data. Gadgets contain predefined parameters, and are available in several predefined sizes (1x1, 2x2, etc.). 
Gadgets can be created to allow the end user to dynamically assign the displayed property values. For example, multiple display gadgets (LED, gauge, or chart) can be created so that the user can choose how they want to see their temperature data displayed on their dashboard.
Gadgets are versatile because they can be used in many different scenarios. Gadgets can be:
  • embedded in any mashup
  • standalone applications
  • embedded as a screen in another application
Creating a Gadget
  1. In ThingWorx Composer, click Gadgets, and then click the green plus sign (+).
  2. Choose the appropriate gadget column layout.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Add and configure widget(s) to the gadget mashup. Use the mashup parameters to provide the greatest amount of flexibility and interchangeability of the gadget.
  5. Click Save.
Creating a Gadget Library Mashup
A gadget library mashup contains the gadgets that will be available on the dashboard. This mashup is linked to the dashboard mashup. This process is the same as creating a mashup for non-dashboard purposes.
  1. In Composer, click Mashups, and click the green plus sign (+).
  2. Select a mashup type.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Configure the mashup as necessary by dragging the desired gadgets from the Mashups pane onto the mashup.
  5. Click Save.
Creating a Dashboard Mashup
A dashboard mashup contains the dashboard widget and is linked to the gadget library mashup.
  2. Select the mashup type.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Drag the dashboard widget into the mashup designer window.
  5. In the mashup parameters window, in the MashupToAddGadgets field, use the magic picker to select the previously created gadget library mashup.
  6. Click Save.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ytella
17-Peridot
(To:rsharma)

Hi Ravi Kumar, Dashboards are user-configured portal pages that enable the user to specify which information displays and how to arrange it on their portal page. In more general terms, dashboards enable users to select and arrange the information they want to monitor in the mashup. They can add or remove gadgets, reposition gadgets on the page, and relocate gadgets to other tabs.

Click on the below link for more information on creating Dashboards:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS233647&art_lang=en&posno=4&q=Dashboards&ProductFamily=ThingWorx%7CNRN%7CAxeda&source=search

jdass
12-Amethyst

Hi Ravi ,

Just to add to what Yamini already mentioned. Gadgets are reusable mashups that can be added to the Dashboard as many times as you can. You need to create a mashup called GadgetLibraryMashup and add the Gadgets to it first. Because GadgetLibraryMashup contains the Gadgets that can be added to the Dashboard.

Below are the steps on how to create Gadget, Gadget Library Mashup and Dashboard Mashup from the help center. Hope it helps!

Dashboards are made up of gadgets. Gadgets are reusable contained mashups that have additional metadata to handle the sizing requirements of a dashboard. Any widget and service can be used in a gadget, and gadgets can display historical or current data. Gadgets contain predefined parameters, and are available in several predefined sizes (1x1, 2x2, etc.). 
Gadgets can be created to allow the end user to dynamically assign the displayed property values. For example, multiple display gadgets (LED, gauge, or chart) can be created so that the user can choose how they want to see their temperature data displayed on their dashboard.
Gadgets are versatile because they can be used in many different scenarios. Gadgets can be:
  • embedded in any mashup
  • standalone applications
  • embedded as a screen in another application
Creating a Gadget
  1. In ThingWorx Composer, click Gadgets, and then click the green plus sign (+).
  2. Choose the appropriate gadget column layout.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Add and configure widget(s) to the gadget mashup. Use the mashup parameters to provide the greatest amount of flexibility and interchangeability of the gadget.
  5. Click Save.
Creating a Gadget Library Mashup
A gadget library mashup contains the gadgets that will be available on the dashboard. This mashup is linked to the dashboard mashup. This process is the same as creating a mashup for non-dashboard purposes.
  2. Select a mashup type.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Configure the mashup as necessary by dragging the desired gadgets from the Mashups pane onto the mashup.
  5. Click Save.
Creating a Dashboard Mashup
A dashboard mashup contains the dashboard widget and is linked to the gadget library mashup.
  2. Select the mashup type.
  3. Click Done.
  4. Drag the dashboard widget into the mashup designer window.
  5. In the mashup parameters window, in the MashupToAddGadgets field, use the magic picker to select the previously created gadget library mashup.
  6. Click Save.
rsharma
6-Contributor
(To:jdass)

Thank you, Janet. This is super helpful. Thank you for the help.

As you suggested, I did below

1. Create a bunch of gadgets

2. Create a mashup (with layout) and added the above gadgets. (view mashup works fine)

3. Create a mashup, add dashboard widget and assign the mashup (created in step 2) to the MashupToAddGadgets field.

However, when I click on viewmashup for the last one (Step 3). I get below error
No dashboards available - use "Add Dashboard" to create a dashboard for yourself

Do I need to create Dashboard from the Gadget first?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ravi

jdass
12-Amethyst

Glad it helped!

Once you click on View Mashup , you will be able to add a Dashboard by clicking on the gear icon on the top right corner of the page.

jdass
12-Amethyst

Below is the documentation from the help center for "Dashboard Run Time" which you might find helpful to proceed further.. Let me know if you face any issues.
Dashboard Run Time

The “end-to-end” dashboard user does not require in-depth knowledge of ThingWorx in order to use dashboards. After the backend development work is complete, the end user is able to configure the content and layout of their dashboard(s). Using the available gadgets, a dashboard user can create and delete groups within dashboards, as well as share, delete, and edit dashboards.
Adding Groups to a Dashboard
  1. From the dashboard, click the gear icon on the top right side of the dashboard title.
  2. Click Add New Group.
  3. Type the group name.
  4. Click Create Group.
Dashboard Options
  • Edit Dashboard — Changes the title of the dashboard.
  • Add New Group — Adds a new group and title to the dashboard.
  • Add Dashboard — Adds a new dashboard and initial group name.
  • Manage Sharing — Using the organizations within the model, designate the organizations and organization units to share the dashboard with.
  • Delete Dashboard — Deletes the currently displayed dashboard
Adding Gadgets to a Group on a Dashboard
  1. From the dashboard group, click the gear icon on the top right of the group title.
  2. Click Add Gadget.
  3. Locate the gadget to add to the dashboard and click the plus sign on the top left of the gadget.
  4. Select the dashboard and group to add the gadget to.
  5. Type a gadget title.
  6. Click Add.
Group Options
The following options are available within a group on a dashboard:
  • Add Gadget — Adds any available gadgets to the group.
  • Edit Group — Changes the group title.
  • Delete Group — Deletes the current group from the dashboard.
Sharing a Dashboard with Another Organizational Unit
A user can only share a dashboard with organizations and corresponding organization units that they are a member of.
  1. From the dashboard, click the gear icon on the top right and click Manage Sharing.
  2. Select an organization and the corresponding organization unit(s) that you want to share the dashboard with. 
  3. Click Save.
rsharma
6-Contributor

I was able to create dashboard from the 'Gadget Library Mashup'. However, I couldn't create it from 'DashBoard mashUp'.

The new dashboard now shows all the gadgets I had placed in the MashUp.

Thank you.

I still have doubts on how the end user will see the dahsboard as it doesn't have any 'ViewDashboard' option unlike 'ViewMashUp' for mashps.

So, does the end user goes to the 'Dashboard Mashup' in your example to view .

Thank you for all the help.

Thanks,

Ravi

jdass
12-Amethyst

Ravi,

Like you said , when you click on View Mashup from the Gadget Library Mashup , you will be able to see all the gadgets that you added .

Whereas when you click on View Mashup from the Dashboard mashup(the one to which you added the Dashboard widget) , you will see something like this.

If you have added the GadgetLibrary in the MashupToAddGadgets , then you should be able to add the Gadgets to the dashboard.

Follow the steps below  :

Click on the gear icon and click Add Dashboard. Provide a name for the Dashboard. (I have given Dashboard1). Create Dashboard.

Once the Dashboard1 is created, click on the gear icon again and add a Group(In my example Group1), give a name and click create Group.

Now you can add Gadgets the same way we added Dashboard and Group. Click on the gear icon on the Group that was added and click on Add Gadget.

This opens up the GadgetLibraryMashup and you will be able to add the Gadgets to the Group.

My Dashboard now looks like

You can add as many gadgets as you like!

Once you design your dashboard, the user will be able to view and edit them as per his needs!

jdass
12-Amethyst

Please click on the attached screenshots to view the full image! Thank you.

rsharma
6-Contributor

Thank you Yamini!

Top Tags