cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Local bindings on properties

vijay5
10-Marble

Local bindings on properties

Hello Team,

Can you please brief on the purpose and and working of local bindings on properties

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The properties are kept in separate Thing Entities, but certain properties are meaningful for other entities as well.

So to keep a record of the properties I need, I would create several properties in my Thing, and local-binding them to the properties I need from other Things, or else I need to write services to extract value from elsewhere with code { my.value = Thing["Other_Entity"].value ; } and keep them triggered on every valuechange events.

Creating a local variable and bind it to a global variable is very common in coding, and in TWX syntax, I have a remote Thing receiving data from some end devices, and I created a separate Thing, inheriting the properties from this remote Thing, and write some extra functions on it could also be very common.  The Local-binding is just a value reference, it's not a big deal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The properties are kept in separate Thing Entities, but certain properties are meaningful for other entities as well.

So to keep a record of the properties I need, I would create several properties in my Thing, and local-binding them to the properties I need from other Things, or else I need to write services to extract value from elsewhere with code { my.value = Thing["Other_Entity"].value ; } and keep them triggered on every valuechange events.

Creating a local variable and bind it to a global variable is very common in coding, and in TWX syntax, I have a remote Thing receiving data from some end devices, and I created a separate Thing, inheriting the properties from this remote Thing, and write some extra functions on it could also be very common.  The Local-binding is just a value reference, it's not a big deal.

vijay5
10-Marble
(To:zyuan1)

Thanks, Got it

Ok, and you can mark the previous answer as correct and close this thread

Announcements

Top Tags