cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

MS SQL Server Connection Issue

bmehringer
12-Amethyst

MS SQL Server Connection Issue

I have created some applications that are connecting to MS SQL Server databases using the Extension from the TW Marketplace.  I am using these applications in two different environments that actually connect to the same database server.  For whatever reason, there are times when I have to specify the MS SQL Server TCP port number, and times I don't.  All TW servers are on the same network, so I'm not sure why one would work differently than another.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any idea why the port number is needed and sometimes it's not?

2 REPLIES 2
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:bmehringer)

Hello,

Is there a load balancer or some similar piece of network hardware between the application server(s) and the database server?

Thanks,

-- Craig A.

bmehringer
12-Amethyst
(To:CRArko)

I'm not sure about a load balancer, but I know there are several managed switches between the application server and the database server.  I guess this question is really related to using JDBC connections to MS SQL Server.  I just find it odd that sometimes a port number is needed and sometimes it is not.  I'm wondering if it has to do something with name resolution coming from the application server...

I may take this question to other forums as it doesn't really seem related to TW.  I appreciate the help.

Top Tags