cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

MSSQL server 2016 and ThingWorxFoundationMSSQL-8.5.4-x64.

nkhoja
6-Contributor

MSSQL server 2016 and ThingWorxFoundationMSSQL-8.5.4-x64.

Trying to install ThingWorx Foundation using the installer provided. 

MSSQL server has been setup using these instructions https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/172634/en/Getting_Started_with_MS_SQL_Server_and_ThingWorx_1.pdf

The Install builder is giving me an error at the ThingWorx Foundation for MSSQL Setup part.

At this point after I enter all the server connection/login information and I hit next I get this error 

"thingworx database has tables prior to ThingWorx installation. Please drop tables or use a different database."

I also tried creating a new database and giving it a different name (thingworkx instead of thingworx) but that didn't help either. I am really new to the ThingWorx world so any help is greatly appreciated. See screen shots for reference. I found one article but that was for PostgreSql and now MSSQL. Here is the link to that https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS320445 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @nkhoja.

While working the case we found that a 32-bit version of Java 8 was installed.  In addition, Java 13 was installed and the installer was trying to use this version, which is not supported.  By removing both versions and installing the 64-bit version of the Java SDK 8, we were able to resolve the issues resulting in a successful installation.

If you are in agreement regarding the solution posted here, please mark this as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:nkhoja)

Hi @nkhoja.

If you are using one of the installers, you simply need to create the database and set the appropriate options.  You should not run the scripts indicated in the documentation you referenced as the installer will take care of creating and populating the tables.  Please refer to these instructions and let us know if you still have questions.

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon, 

Hoping you are doing well.

Thank you for the prompt response :), I did what you said and it did go through the process but the installation failed and prompted me to check the logs. I am attaching the log file. Also I tried re-running the installer and it asked me to uninstall the previous installation (which I did and rebooted the server as well) not sure what bit is blocking it. Attaching the 2 log files that have been generated this morning. 

Regards

Nadir

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @nkhoja.

You may have to search the registry and delete any entries related to the install.  (Note:  take care in doing so as a mistake could render your system inoperative.)  Also, make sure any folders that were created, get removed.  Finally, restart the operating system to ensure a clean startup.

Please let us know if you continue to have issues.

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon,

So I found and followed this article (https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS314780) which did help me to get the installer going. But it failed again and also its not creating a proper uninstaller too at the end when it fails. 

Attached is the new log. Not sure why the installer is failing. What would you recommend? Is there a different log I should be looking at?  

Thanks 

Regards

Nadir 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @nkhoja.

Not all of our products create an uninstaller, and sometimes the failure occurs before the uninstaller is created.

This is what I recommend:

1. Perform the cleanup again
  2. Restart the operating system
  3. Validate that you are adhering to system requirements.  Are you installing on a supported operating system?  Did you install a supported version of java.  Which version of SQL Server was installed?  Did you set the appropriate settings for SQL Server?
  4. Right-click the name of the installer and select "Run as administrator"

If you continue to have issues, I recommend that a case be opened for reviewing the issue via WebEx.  If we are unable to resolve the issue with the installer, we have the option to install manually.

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon,

1.Perform the cleanup again - Did that

2.Restart the operating system - Did that

3 Validate that you are adhering to system requirements.  Are you installing on a supported operating system?  Did you install a supported version of java.  Which version of SQL Server was installed?  Did you set the appropriate settings for SQL Server?  ---- Yes, the system requirements are adequate as the is the 3rd set of installation we are doing. The First 2 systems were setup with the aid of PTC and This time I was thrown under the bus lol. Yes I have JAVA version 8 and JDK 13. SQL Server is 2016. I followed this for the SQL settings https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS300950?&language=en&posno=1&q=ThingWorx%20Foundation%208.5.4%20&source=search 

4. Right-click the name of the installer and select "Run as administrator" --- Did that

So I managed to grab the actual log files from the installer before I hit okay to the error and attached are a copy of it.

Error running C:\opscode\chef\bin\chef-client -z --config "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1\installer\foundation\knife.rb" -j "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1\installer\foundation.json" -L "C:/PROGRA~2/THINGW~1\installer\logs\foundation-20200318143111.log": Program ended with an error exit code

[14:34:56] ThingWorx Foundation for MSSQL: rc=1
[14:34:56] foundation Installation Failed
[14:34:56] - Post Installation Action List: Step install via chef script failed :: 1

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated

regards

Nadir Khoja 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @nkhoja.

The fact that you're running both JDK 8 and 13 may be the cause of the issue.  When you check the environment variables, do you see settings for JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME, and if so, are they set to java 8 or 13?  What does your path statement show in regard to java?

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon, 

I have attached the screen shots of all the systems variables available as well as a the details of the PATH variable. 

Thanks

Regards

Nadir Khoja

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @nkhoja.

1) Make sure the Java 8 JDK is installed (not just the JRE)

2) Update the JAVA_HOME system environment variable to point to Java 8

3) Perform clean-up

4) Restart the o/s

5) Right-click the name of the installer and select "Run as Administrator"

If it still fails, I will be happy to open a case on your behalf to walk through this issue together.

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon,

Good Morning,

I did what you asked me to and still it failed. 

attached are the new logs that I got after this failure, basically its the same error

Please start a Case as I really need this to get going as soon as possible.

regards

Nadir Regards

rjstephan
5-Regular Member

@nkhoja, I recently fought through this using v8.5.2 (filename MED-61212-CD-085_SP2_ThingWorx-Platform-Foundation-Installer-8-5-2-Windows-mssql.zip).  In my case, the database collation was the primary hurdle to installation.  I was creating the database manually using SQL Mgt. Studio, because I was unable to locate the .SQL scripts for automated database creation.  I eventually located them in MED-61212-CD-085_SP2_ThingWorx-Platform-Mssql-8-5-2.zip.  Why this zip file consisting of useful .SQL and .BAT files is not bundled with the installer - or referenced by the installer's first dialog - is baffling to me.

That said, if/when you get v8.5.4 installed, I would really appreciate knowing if you can reach the Tomcat homepage (typically http://localhost:8080) because I cannot.  I have been unable to find any PTC posting on this (and PTC TS replied with "...Tomcat is not a web server").  I am trying to determine if this is a TWx v8.5.2 installer anomaly, because I think accessing the Tomcat homepage is useful.  

Thanks

nkhoja
6-Contributor
(To:rjstephan)

Hello rjstephan,

So yeah I can't get to the Apache home page either. Will try and find a way to do that and will share it with you here.

Thanks 

regards

Nadir Khoja

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @nkhoja.

While working the case we found that a 32-bit version of Java 8 was installed.  In addition, Java 13 was installed and the installer was trying to use this version, which is not supported.  By removing both versions and installing the 64-bit version of the Java SDK 8, we were able to resolve the issues resulting in a successful installation.

If you are in agreement regarding the solution posted here, please mark this as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

nkhoja
6-Contributor

Hello Sharon,

Thanks a lot for your time and efforts. It was great to learn some insights and understand the software better.

Stay healthy

regards

Nadir Khoja 

Top Tags