cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

PostgreSQL Server failed to start

anaclos
12-Amethyst

PostgreSQL Server failed to start

Hello. I installed ThingWorxFoundationPostgres-8.5.8-x86_64.run on RHEL. It was working fine and I stopped using it for a while. When I wanted to enter again, the empty Composer appeared and I could not navigate. I saw that the disk was full and I deleted some archived logs, then I restarted tomcat and RHEL server, with which afterwards I could not enter the Composer again. I cannot start the Postgres server. Can anybody help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:anaclos)

Hi @anaclos.

You'll need to resolve the PostgreSQL issue before you can attempt to start ThingWorx.  Recommend checking the PostgreSQL logs to determine why it's not starting.  Once PostgreSQL is up and running again, you can restart Tomcat to see if ThingWorx is coming up.  If not, we'll need new Tomcat and ThingWorx logs in order to assist further.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
suverma
12-Amethyst

Hi @anaclos 

Can you please attach the Tomcat as well Thingworx logs here to see if any error while starting application.

Can you also see if you JAVA version was updated and correct path exist in your Tomcat Java config.

anaclos
12-Amethyst
(To:suverma)

Hi @suverma I am sending the log files. I found an error in the JRE_HOME environment variable that is pointing to the wrong address. I will modify it and let you know if I can solve the problem. Thanks

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @anaclos.

You'll need to resolve the PostgreSQL issue before you can attempt to start ThingWorx.  Recommend checking the PostgreSQL logs to determine why it's not starting.  Once PostgreSQL is up and running again, you can restart Tomcat to see if ThingWorx is coming up.  If not, we'll need new Tomcat and ThingWorx logs in order to assist further.

Regards.

--Sharon

anaclos
12-Amethyst
(To:slangley)

Hi, @slangley The problem is that I have a full disk and can't start postgresql. I am sending you a capture of the disk usage where it can be seen that the postgresql base folder is taking up the most space. I don't know if the database can be exported to another instance to reduce its size and then import it again.

diskFull.PNG

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @anaclos.

You might review this page from the PostgreSQL web site.  If you decide to run the utility, I recommend creating a server backup first.  You may run into issues running the utility if the space is fully depleted on disk.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @anaclos.

Great job!  Please feel free to mark your last post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

anaclos
12-Amethyst

Hi, @slangley I was able to change the postgres data to another partition and after modifying the configuration files and the PGDATA environment variable to point to the new address, I was able to start Thingworx correctly. Thanks.

Top Tags