cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Problems installing Platform-Analytics 8.5.1

olatz
12-Amethyst

Problems installing Platform-Analytics 8.5.1

Hello,

After installing Platform-Analytics, Things (PropertyTransformThing, StatisticalMonitoringThing, StatisticalCalculationThing) are not created in the platform.

My environment is:

- Virtual Machine 1

- THW Platform: 8.5.2

- SSL:443

- Autogenerated certificate

- Virtual Machine 2

- Analytics Server: 8.5.2

- Connected to the platform and it seems working (see attached: "Analytics-Server.png")

- Platform-Analytics: 8.5.1

- RabbitMQ and Apache Flink from the installer

- Erlang 21.0

- The installation summary said that everything went OK and Things were created, but I can't find them on the platform. In addition, in the install.log file it seems that connection with the platform went OK:

"

[12:05:25] - Removing hidden characters from AppKey...

[12:05:25] - Removed hidden characters from AppKey.

[12:05:25] - Verifying if ThingWorx Foundation is installed and running ...

Executing /opt/ThingWorxAnalytics/PlatformAnalytics/validation/twxfoundation_appkey_validator 192.168.243.150 443 **** "true" "false"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
ThingWorx Foundation connection verified

Script stderr:

[12:05:25] - ThingWorx Foundation verification [SUCCEEDED]

"

Attached:

- install_summary.txt

- install.log

- log folder

I found the following error in the configuration.log file:

"

2020-05-11 12:08:45 [NettyClient-NIO-1] WARN c.t.c.c.c.n.ThingworxClientConnectionHandler - [ClientHandler: 1515049024] SSLHandshake Exception, websocket not created:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.<init>(PKIXValidator.java:102)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.Validator.getInstance(Validator.java:181)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.getValidator(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:300)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrustedInit(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:176)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:246)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:141)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:623)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.onCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:464)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:360)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:392)

"

It seems to be related with the SSL certificate but I cannot understand the problem because on the same server there is an installation of Analytics-Server connected to the platform using the same certificate and parameters (autogenerated certificate and 443 port).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Olatz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
olatz
12-Amethyst
(To:cmorfin)

Hi @cmorfin,

Thank you very much for you help. 

I have followed these steps:

- Uninstalled openjdk

- Uninstalled Platform-Analytics using the uninstall script provided 

- Check that java was pointing to versión 1.8.0_141

- Change JAVA_HOME in /etc/environment to point to the correct version of java

- Reinstall Platform-Analytics

After that, the following things were created in the platform:

• PropertyTransform Microserver Thing: PropertyTransformThing
  • Descriptive Analytics Thing: StatisticalMonitoringThing
  • Descriptive Analytics Thing: StatisticalCalculationThing

It seems that is going to work properly, but I have to do some testings.

Finally, to close the request, I would like to know if is it a good idea to install both analytics modules (Analytics-Server and Platform-Analytics) on the same virtual machine in a production environment.

Thanks a lot, again, for your help.

Olatz.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:olatz)

Hi @olatz 

Is it possible for you to download TWALogCollector from https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS316782 and upload the resulting gz file ?

Another question: is ThingWorx Platform on the same machine as ThingWorx Analytics Server and Platform Analytics or a different one ?

Thank you

Christophe

olatz
12-Amethyst

Hi @cmorfin 

Yes, attached is he generated file with TWALogs. I didn't use the "full" option, let me know if it's necessary. The generated file is a .tar.gz file (my environment is on a Linux Ubuntu) and the web page doesn't let me upload this extension so I have gzipped the original file on a windows.

As I wrote in the previous message, I have two different virtual machines:

- Platform 8.5.2 is on a virtual machine

- Analytics Server 8.5.2 and Platform Analytics 8.5.1 is on another machine

Let me know if you need more information. We are stopped with this problem because reinstalling the Platform-Analytics module probably is not going to work without knowing where the problem is.

Thanks in advace for your help.

Olatz

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @olatz 

Thank you for the TWALogCollector output ... and apologies to make you repeat your setup.

The issue is due to the fact you have several installation of Java on the machine and Analytics Server is using one (in which the certificate appears to have been imported) and Platform Analytics is using a different one without the certificate.

It appears also that Platform Analytics is using a openJDK 11 which is not supported - we support only Java 8.
There is also a misconfiguration between /etc/profile and /etc/environment.

Here are the steps I would advise:

1) Edit /etc/environment and change

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_241/

to 

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_141/

2) Edit /etc/systemd/system/twpas-descriptive-analytics-service.service and /etc/systemd/system/twpas-property-transform.service

in both file you have a line that starts like

ExecStart=/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/java ...

Replace this with

ExecStart=/usr/bin/nohup /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_141/bin/java ...

3) Reboot the VM and try again.

This should make Platform Analytics use the same JDK as Analytics Server and so see the certificate.
However I do see that flink failed to start because it is also using the JDK 11, hopefully the steps above will allow to redirect flink.

If it still does not work you may have to uninstall the openJDK 11, Platform Analytics and re-install Platform Analytics.

Hope this helps

Christophe

olatz
12-Amethyst

Hi @cmorfin,

Thank you very much for you help. 

I have followed these steps:

- Uninstalled openjdk

- Uninstalled Platform-Analytics using the uninstall script provided 

- Check that java was pointing to versión 1.8.0_141

- Change JAVA_HOME in /etc/environment to point to the correct version of java

- Reinstall Platform-Analytics

After that, the following things were created in the platform:

• PropertyTransform Microserver Thing: PropertyTransformThing
  • Descriptive Analytics Thing: StatisticalMonitoringThing
  • Descriptive Analytics Thing: StatisticalCalculationThing

It seems that is going to work properly, but I have to do some testings.

Finally, to close the request, I would like to know if is it a good idea to install both analytics modules (Analytics-Server and Platform-Analytics) on the same virtual machine in a production environment.

Thanks a lot, again, for your help.

Olatz.

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @olatz 

I am glad it helped.

Regarding installing Analytics Server and Platform Analytics on the same server , for production use, we would advise to have 2 different servers.

It all depends on workload but Platform Analytics can be resource intensive and would need its own server.

Regards

Christophe

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @olatz 

By the way since the original issue has been fixed, it would be good if you can mark the answer as correct .

That will help others who may have similar issue in the future.

Feel free to post a new topic if you have other questions/issues

Regards

Christophe

Top Tags