cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Pushing ThingWorx data into Historian

Do1
9-Granite
9-Granite

Pushing ThingWorx data into Historian

Has anyone found a way to store all ThingWorx time series data in a Historian?

Could ThingWorx act as an OPC UA server?

Alternatively could one configure Kepware to pull data from ThingWorx and then make that available via OPC UA?

3 REPLIES 3
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Do1)

Which historian?

If there is a rest api available, Thingworx can push it using rest

if there is a jdbc connection possible, Thingworx can push it using that connection

you can also split the data at the source and have kepware/opc aggregator push to both Historian and Thingworx

Does it have to be opc ua protocol? This would be something that Thingworx doesn't do ootb. You might be able to do it through Kepware, it's a bit reversed from usual and i'm not too certain about the ramifications of that setup

Do1
9-Granite
9-Granite
(To:PaiChung)

OPC is an industry standard protocol used in industrial use cases.  ThingWorx claims to be an Industrial IoT platform...

We have managed to setup an OPC connection with the historian (unfortunately OPC DA not OPC UA) via Kepware.

We will need to do some tests, but in theory if I enable read/write, and I link the Kepware object to a "thing" in ThingWorx, I should be able to update the object in the historian (from ThingWorx) and the historian should historise  all the data changes.

This is the kind of response I was expecting.

PS what about this: https://marketplace.ptc.com/apps/195324/opc-ua-client#!overview has anyone tried this?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Do1)

If your tags are read/write yes you can do what you propose, it is just not a very common scenario or approach that I've come across thus far.

We've optimized kepware to batch write incoming tags TO Thingworx, but that isn't the case in reverse, so if you have a lot of data coming into Thingworx that you are pushing onto Things to kepware to the Historian, your ability to scale will be impacted.

Top Tags