cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Thing is not running - SQL JDBC

GrafZahl
6-Contributor

Thing is not running - SQL JDBC

Hello,

I try to connect a Microsoft SQL Database to ThingWorx … I installed the JDBC MSSQL Connector Extension from the Marketplace and imported it … Then I created a Thing “DB1” with the Base Thing Template MSSqlServer… In the Configuration page I tried to configured…

JDBC Driver Class Name:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

JDBC Connection String:
jdbc:sqlserver://127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=thingworx

connectionValidationString:
SELECT GETDATE()

Database User Name:
sa

Database Password:

my password

after saving I get the Message Thing[DB1] is not running…

can anybody help me?

I use.. 

Thingworx:8 trial

Microsoft SQL Server 2017

best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:GrafZahl)

I'm suspecting the extension might have not been updated in a while and the driver supplied is old.

Could you please  take a look at my response to this thread (first comment) for detailed instructions on how to package a new jdbc driver?

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Using-a-third-party-Jar-file-for-Database-connection/m-p/514861

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
posipova
20-Turquoise

It seems the db connection is not getting established. Do you have all the needed ports enabled in your SQL database? Check ThingWorx application log for errors.

GrafZahl
6-Contributor
(To:posipova)

In the ThingWorx  application log is the following message:

ERROR starting: JDBC Driver Class Not Found: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Error message: Thing is not running

in my SQL Management Studio my instance port 1433 is enabled. 

- the Windows Firewall is off.

- FYI my Windows Server 2017 is a VM Ware.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Do you have TCP/IP enabled in your SQL configuration manager?

GrafZahl
6-Contributor
(To:posipova)

Yes- my TCP/IP is enabled.

do I need to install a JDBC driver on my Windows Server?...or is importing the JDBC package from the ThingWorx Marketplace sufficient? 

Is it possible that I need to change the JDBC metadata file?

thank you for your help! :-) 

posipova
20-Turquoise

I'm suspecting the extension might have not been updated in a while and the driver supplied is old.

Could you please  take a look at my response to this thread (first comment) for detailed instructions on how to package a new jdbc driver?

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Using-a-third-party-Jar-file-for-Database-connection/m-p/514861

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @GrafZahl,

Please review this post for possible solutions.  If you're still having issues, please provide more information regarding your configuration.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags