cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

ThingWorx Foundation 8.3 Installation Failure - unable to validate Keystore file

TanviHatch18
4-Participant

ThingWorx Foundation 8.3 Installation Failure - unable to validate Keystore file

I am trying to install the 120 day ThingWorx Foundation 8.3 trial. I created a Keystore.jsk file using the following instructions: https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/ssl-howto.html#Prepare_the_Certificate_Keystore 

During the installation when I try to move past the "Properties for ThingWorx Foundation" page, I receive an error that reads: Unable to validate the keystore file with the provided keystore password. (See attached picture).

I have tried multiple times and have confirmed that I am using the correct password but am still getting this error. 

Another issue is that in all the installation guides there is reference to license and thingworx_platform.json files. I did not receive these files with the installation and don't know where to find them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:TanviHatch18)

Hi @TanviHatch18.

It sounds like you are using the wrong installation instructions.  For the trial editions, please refer to this guide.  The keystore, license and .json files are included with the installation.

Note, it may not be possible to re-run the trial edition installer on the same system without rebuilding the o/s.  You may want to try it, but if it continues to fail, you will either need to run it on another machine or reinstall the o/s on the existing machine.  Be sure to validate that all prerequisites exist prior to running the installer.

Please let us know if you have further issues.

Regards.

--Sharon

TanviHatch18
4-Participant
(To:slangley)

Hi Sharon, 

I appreciate the response and thank you for providing that installation guide. 

I downloaded the Foundation trial for windows from https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/downloads 

I noticed that in the installation guide you provided the installation pages do not match mine. I have attached the first few pages in this response for your reference. As you can see after the 3rd page it asks for an administrator user password (I was using my PTC account password). After this it asks for the keystore file as can be seen in the image attached in my original post (I created one using the tomcat instructions in my original post). I have also tried re downloading the installation package many times and never received a json, keystore, or license file. Am I using the wrong installation or is it something else? 

Thank you for your help! 

Installation_page1.PNGInstallation_page2.PNGInstallation_page3.PNGInstallation_page4.PNGInstallation_error.PNG

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanviHatch18.

Which instructions are you using?  The latest version of the instructions I found were for the 8.2 trial version but I have reached out to R&D to see when the 8.3 version will be available.

From the screenshots you provided, I can see that the 8.3 version defaults to SSL.  This implies that you have your own SSL certificate and it has to be in the format needed for Tomcat.  To get around the SSL requirement, you can deselect SSL and it should allow you to proceed with the installation.

Regards.

--Sharon

TanviHatch18
4-Participant

Hi Sharon, 

I was using the instructions that you provided in your first reply. Thank you for looking into the 8.3 version trial installation guide! 

I tried unselecting SSL, however, the installation still failed. The errors can be seen in the pictures attached. I used https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/downloads  to download the trial package - is this correct? 

Thank you for your help! 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanviHatch18.

It looks like it failed right at the end when it was doing a check of the url.  Do you have something else listening on port 8080?  Possibly through a previous Tomcat installation?

The only thing needed by the install to succeed is a 64-bit o/s and 64-bit java, so nothing else needs to be installed.

However, now that you have run the installer, it may not run again successfully.  There are hooks that get created and the uninstaller is not able to remove them.  The only way around this is to install on a clean o/s that doesn't haveTomcat already installed, or to wipe the current machine you're using and reinstall the o/s there.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanviHatch18.

Just following up with you on the installation of the trial version you were having issues with.  If you have been able to resolve the issues, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may have the same questions.

However, if you are still having issues, please let us know so we can assist further.

Regards.

--Sharon

drieder
15-Moonstone

Hello @TanviHatch18,

I had the same issue and I was able to solve it by meeting the requirements specified here. In my case I changed the OS from Windows 10 64-Bit to Windows 2016 Server 64-Bit (Because Windows 10 is not listed under supported OS)

I also changed the java version. Eventhough I had a 64-Bit Java Version installed, after I installed the Java SE Development Kit 8, Update 92 , 1.8.0_92- b14 (64-bit) as specified in the requirements, the installation succeeded. 

It may be that you do not have to change the OS, I did not test it on Windows 10. 

Hope this help.

Regards,

Dominik

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:drieder)

Hi @TanviHatch18.

If one of the previous replies provided a solution to your problem, or you found a different solution, please post it and mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may have the same issue.

If you are still struggling to find a solution, please provide further details so we can assist.

Regards.

--Sharon

drieder
15-Moonstone

I am facing the exact same problem. In my case I had Tomcat installed in the past.

Is there realy no other way than reinstalling the OS?

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:drieder)

Hi @TanviHatch18.

Given the fact that most installations fail due to running against an unsupported version of the o/s or java, the installer doesn't always work as intended.  Windows itself, is designed in such a way as to hinder the cleanup when removing a product.

Unfortunately, reinstalling the o/s or installing on a different machine are the only supported options we can offer. 

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags