cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Thingworx Auditing User, IPs and actions

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite

Thingworx Auditing User, IPs and actions

Hello Everyone,

I am curious about how we can enable auditing for specific action performed in an APP. We implemented Thingworx Navigate App for search, view and downloading PLM Windchill documents. Our userbase is quite large - 25k+ users. We need to be able to track user activities on the platform.

What is the recommendation on this? 

thanks,

Preeti

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @PreetiGupta ,

Not aware about any OOTB feature, however considering the amount of users you have and the expected audit record it would generate, I would like to propose, you use any external DB and connect to that DB using JDBCExtension. I assume you knows the records that you want to capture (IP, User, Timestamp, etc). accordingly define your database table. 

Finally, the operation you want to capture (I assume it will be some ThingWorx service), within that service add a function which call the JDBC thing and insert the rows into your db table. 

Might be not an elegant solution at first look, but trust me it will work like charm. I used exactly same in my previous assignment. 

Hope it will work for you too!

Thanks,

Shirish

Thanks Shirish.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:PreetiGupta)

Hi @PreetiGupta.

What activities are you looking to track?

If you want to track who is making changes to a thing, service, etc. that information is captured out-of-the-box.  The Change History tab on any entity will track who made a change, though the specifics aren't captured.

If you wish to track system level events, such as ThingStart, FileTransfer, etc., you can turn on the audit subsystem.  If you wish to track something specific to your application, such as data entry, etc., you would need to capture that in your code. The CurrentSessionInfo Resource contains many services for capturing specific information, like username or IP.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @PreetiGupta.

If you found one of the previous responses helpful, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags