cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Thingworx High Availability using Dockers

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite

Thingworx High Availability using Dockers

Hello,

We are looking into High Availability architecture for Production with Docker Container. The documents says that the docker images are provided for HA. Can you point me where to they are?

PreetiGupta_1-1582614275629.png

Has anyone implemented HA with dockers? Any pointers would be helpful.

thanks,

Preeti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We use “standard” (not HA) dockerfiles for development, yes. They are pretty well documented (PDF, readme, articles) and in general self-explanatory. We tried to run this HA example some time ago and it worked, but we abandoned the idea because it was not intended for the use in production. That HA example is also quite simple — all it adds to your usual ThingWorx setup is a bunch of zookeeper nodes and haproxy, if I remember it correctly. There are only few files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:PreetiGupta)

Hi @PreetiGupta.

I noticed you also posted this same reply to a post in our IoT Tech Tips forum.  Since that post was from 2018, I am following up with the original author to see if more information can be provided.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @PreetiGupta.

A response has been posted to the original post.  Please let us know if you have further questions.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hello @PreetiGupta,

Just my 2 cents:

• Last time I saw those HA dockerfiles they were in "examples" folder in Dockerfiles ZIP file for 8.3.3
    • They are simple, so shouldn't be a problem to modify for 8.5.x
    • There's a reason why PTC removed them from 8.4+, and I guess it's because you're not supposed to be using Postgres containers in prod, and if so, then why do you need HA...
  • Keep in mind that at least Postgres version is not intended for production use (I'm not sure if it is even supported in such configuration). If I understand the docs correctly, it essentially means that the only database you can use with those ThingWorx Docker containers in production is Azure SQL.

/ Constantine

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:Constantine)

Thanks Constantine.

The information is not documented very well. 

I am trying to use these dockers files in dev environment. 

Have you stood up Dev using these dockers files?

Preeti

We use “standard” (not HA) dockerfiles for development, yes. They are pretty well documented (PDF, readme, articles) and in general self-explanatory. We tried to run this HA example some time ago and it worked, but we abandoned the idea because it was not intended for the use in production. That HA example is also quite simple — all it adds to your usual ThingWorx setup is a bunch of zookeeper nodes and haproxy, if I remember it correctly. There are only few files.
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:PreetiGupta)

Hi @PreetiGupta.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags