cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

User Login to application developed on thingworx throught finger print scanner

Sri1
13-Aquamarine

User Login to application developed on thingworx throught finger print scanner

Hi,

We have a client's requirement that a user's login should work when they do a finger print scan from a scanner.

I have some ideas and need some assistance on how to achieve it on thingworx.

• The Biometric finger print scanner uses an intermediate application to store the scanned fingerprint data in a database. 
  • I am planning to install this third party application on Kepware's server (Because it runs on Windows OS) and store the data scanned data on thingworx's model database. And from there is will use the scanned data to do the login.

My question is,  

• Is there a better way to do than the way i have suggested above.
  • And in the above method, how do i do a backend login from the application side. Because if we create a user in thingworx and enter username and password, it automatically does the authentication and login.
  • Now how do I achieve this through a service.

Regards,

Sri1

2 REPLIES 2
VladimirRosu
6-Contributor
(To:Sri1)

Hi Sri1,

I would never store bio-metric user data in the Thing Model - that information is highly private and really required only for the login phase. The Thing Model should be only used for the application usecase needs.

You should search and see if there is an identity provider that supports bio-metric authentication and use Ping Federate to integrate with that.

I believe Okta has some articles which might give you the correct direction, albeit not really good.

Regardless, keep in mind that really you should not use ThingWorx to manage the biometric data, and instead use a third-party tool that does that for you.

Solution Architect @ Kalypso
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Sri1)

Hi @Sri1.

If you feel the previous response was helpful, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others in the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags