cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

WS EMS - Possible to install two instances on same server?

azoorob3
13-Aquamarine

WS EMS - Possible to install two instances on same server?

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently using the WS EMS to facilitate a file drop interface between a VM on a private network, and a cloud ThingWorx instance. The WS EMS is installed on the VM and used to transfer files to/from the VM and the ThingWorx platform. 

Currently I have one instance of the WSEMS running and pointed to our development ThingWorx environment. Is it possible for me to install a second instance of the WSEMS on the same VM and point this one to our production environment? Or can only one instance of the WSEMS be installed on a server at the same time?

Thanks!

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:azoorob3)

Hi @azoorob3.

Best practice dictates that combining Prod and non-Prod on the same server is not a good idea.  There could be a number of issues.  Running an instance of EMS on your development server is an acceptable solution, but it would be recommended to run EMS on a different server for Prod.

That being said, it is theoretically possible to run multiple EMS's on the same machine as long as everything is configured uniquely to avoid conflict, etc.  If the configuration is set up incorrectly, it could lead to a cross-contamination of the data.  PTC may not be able to assist with correcting an issue if this were to occur.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:azoorob3)

Hi @azoorob3.

Best practice dictates that combining Prod and non-Prod on the same server is not a good idea.  There could be a number of issues.  Running an instance of EMS on your development server is an acceptable solution, but it would be recommended to run EMS on a different server for Prod.

That being said, it is theoretically possible to run multiple EMS's on the same machine as long as everything is configured uniquely to avoid conflict, etc.  If the configuration is set up incorrectly, it could lead to a cross-contamination of the data.  PTC may not be able to assist with correcting an issue if this were to occur.

Regards.

--Sharon

azoorob3
13-Aquamarine
(To:slangley)

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the response. 

I understand that combining dev/prod on the same server is not ideal, but it is an unfortunate constraint I need to work with . My two EMS instances will look at completely different directories on the server so I think that will help to ensure there is no cross-contamination of data. I've set everything up, and haved tested concurrently transferring files from both EMS, and so far everything is working well. 

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Andrew

Top Tags