cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

after importing training data, cannot loginto thingworx trial version

rsingaram
11-Garnet

after importing training data, cannot loginto thingworx trial version

Hi,

I have installed the trial version - twxFoundationH2Trial-8.3.2

and going through the training -  Introduction to ThingWorx 8 Part 1: Getting Started .

It begins with import of data - entites & mashups. After this step of importing, I can no more login.

I uninstalled/reinstalled - it is the same.

Anyone experienced this? Thanks for the help.

-Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Sharon

Finally I realized where it has gone wrong although it looks like a workaround.

I reinstalled with PTC password "trUf6yuz2?_Gub" and as this is as per 10 letters length , it went through.

Later I imported the  training files - ThingWorxFundamentalsPreloadEntities.xml and ThingWorxFundamentalsPreloadData.json.

Now I can re-login even if I logout (unlike earlier times).

I expected that the import does not has a pre-requisite of same Administrator password as from where it was exported.

Thanks for your help.

-Ravi

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:rsingaram)

Hi @rsingaram.

Which account are you using for login?  If you created the student account from one of the training exercises, this account should have Administrator rights and you can use it to change the password for other accounts.  If you are using the Administrator account, you can try the following passwords:

admin

Admin

trUf6yuz2?_Gub

Regards.

--Sharon

Thank you Sharon.

After installing the TWX, I used the password that I gave during installation. (as at the attached image setup screenshot)

It worked fine for many times when I exit and login.

When I started to follow the training course (second chapter of importing data), it successfully imported. But I cannot login anymore.

The first chapter telling to create ThingworksStudent login (and it's password) also no more working.

I am not sure  whether this import resets the password of Administrator (& other users). 

With new 8.1 requirement, old password of less than 10 characters no more accepted (I believe so).  So the default passwords does not work.

-Ravi

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rsingaram.

Passwords for existing users do not change after an upgrade.  The password policy kicks in when you change a password for an existing user or when you are creating a new user.

If you created the ThingWorxStudent password, did you adhere to the instructions of creating a password of "ptc" or did you use your own?

Which file import caused the issue?  I may need to test it.

Regards.

--Sharon

Thanks Sharon.

As I had mentioned, after importing first file (entities) - it failed both in New & Classic composer. After importing, I can browse the new entities.. But once logout - gone - cannot login back.

You cannot import data files without importing entities. Correct - It shows error if try do so.

-Ravi

Sorry forgot to add.

We cannot use "ptc" as it is no more accepted as password which has to be 10 characters in new version.

So, I had to create my own password.

Also, the import errors are while logged-in Administrator. I hope the same should be case id use "ThingWorxStudent" login.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rsingaram.

I tested this by upgrading my local instance that I have been running for a while from 8.2.3 to 8.3.4.  I had previously created the ThingWorxStudent user with the password of "ptc" and my Administrator account had a password that was only 5 characters in length.  I was not forced to update either of these passwords, so I'm not understanding why you feel it was necessary to do so.  Only password changes and passwords for new accounts must conform to the new password policy.   The passwords for existing accounts can remain as is until you elect to change them.

Please provide the name of the files you were importing so I can try to figure out how to address your issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Thanks Sharon

Finally I realized where it has gone wrong although it looks like a workaround.

I reinstalled with PTC password "trUf6yuz2?_Gub" and as this is as per 10 letters length , it went through.

Later I imported the  training files - ThingWorxFundamentalsPreloadEntities.xml and ThingWorxFundamentalsPreloadData.json.

Now I can re-login even if I logout (unlike earlier times).

I expected that the import does not has a pre-requisite of same Administrator password as from where it was exported.

Thanks for your help.

-Ravi

Sorry, pls read last line as :

I expected that the import does not have a pre-requisite of same Administrator password as from where it was exported.

Top Tags