cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

error in licensing thingworx

asn
4-Participant
4-Participant

error in licensing thingworx

Hello,

I am using ThingWorx 8.3.1.

ThingWorx was working fine on my windows 10 system as well as a cloud based windows server, while suddenly the license in the "ThingworxPlatform" folder changed from "successful_license_capability_response" to "ignored_license_capability_response" on both these windows systems.

Below is my application log.

2018-12-05 16:06:04.507+0530 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Subsystem LicensingSubsystem is starting
2018-12-05 16:06:04.507+0530 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.s.Subsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Starting Subsystem [LicensingSubsystem]
2018-12-05 16:06:40.132+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-05 16:07:12.311+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-05 16:07:44.817+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-05 16:08:17.765+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-05 16:08:17.768+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to fetch license file with device id XXXX
2018-12-05 16:08:17.806+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-05 16:08:17.817+0530 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to read trial license file. Attempting to load as Paid license
2018-12-05 16:08:17.847+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] [message: Storage anchor break found.]
2018-12-05 16:08:17.847+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] ====================================================================
2018-12-05 16:08:17.847+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] License file missing. It's expected at path : C:\ThingworxPlatform\license.bin
2018-12-05 16:08:17.847+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] ====================================================================
2018-12-05 16:08:17.847+0530 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Shutting down the Platform.

What could be the possible reason?

I have tried re-downloading the license from the license management portal and placing it in the ThingworxPlatform folder by renaming it as "license_capability_response".

However, the same error occurs.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @asn.

The solution to the final licensing issue was to create a service account (Windows) with Administrator rights and reconfigure the Tomcat service to run under this account.

For the original issue, it would be helpful if you would mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may experience similar issues.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
raluca_edu
17-Peridot
(To:asn)

npn
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock
(To:raluca_edu)

Hi @raluca_edu,

As I am working in a secure restricted environment, I do not have the permissions to create a new user as explained in the article you suggested. Is there any other way around this?

Thanks

raluca_edu
17-Peridot
(To:npn)

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't know another solution, but maybe someone from Community has another solution.

Best regards,

Raluca Edu

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:raluca_edu)

Hi @asn.

This is the same issue already reported for your company per this community post.  I have reached out to the License Management team to get this issue resolved.

As soon as I have received confirmation that the issue has been corrected, I will let you know.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @asn.

I have worked with the License Mgmt team to address this issue.

If you are using a connected scenario (Support login information is included in \ThingworxPlatform\platform-settings.json), you should be able to simply restart Tomcat in order for the license file to update.  If you are manually updating the license, follow these instructions:

1. Login to the License Management portal
  2. Enter your device ID and click Retrieve
  3. Download the license and place it in the \ThingworxPlatform folder
  4. Move the existing license_capability_response.bin file to another location
  5. Rename your newly downloaded license file to license_capability_response.bin
  6. Restart Tomcat

If you still have issues, please let us know.

Regards.

--Sharon

If my response has answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution, for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

asn
4-Participant
4-Participant

Hi @slangley,

Thanks a lot for the support.

The ThingWorx server on the AWS instance is working fine now.

However, in my local windows 10 system I am still facing the issue.

PFB the application logs -

2018-12-06 09:00:58.839+0530 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.s.Subsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Starting Subsystem [LicensingSubsystem]
2018-12-06 09:01:34.906+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-06 09:02:10.362+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-06 09:02:49.453+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-06 09:03:28.693+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-06 09:03:28.695+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to fetch license file with device id XXXX
2018-12-06 09:03:28.755+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicenseFetcher] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to process capability response because Storage anchor break found.
2018-12-06 09:03:28.766+0530 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Unable to read trial license file. Attempting to load as Paid license
2018-12-06 09:03:28.797+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] [message: Storage anchor break found.]
2018-12-06 09:03:28.797+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] ====================================================================
2018-12-06 09:03:28.797+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] License file missing. It's expected at path : C:\ThingworxPlatform\license.bin
2018-12-06 09:03:28.797+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingSubsystem] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] ====================================================================
2018-12-06 09:03:28.797+0530 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: main] Shutting down the Platform.

I tried the steps you mentioned in your previous reply but the error still persists.

Thanks

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @asn.

I see this in the log snippet you provided:

Unable to fetch license file with device id XXXX

Did you replace the actual Device ID with XXXX to mask it for this post?  If so, just make sure you are generating separate license files for each environment.  The Device ID is unique across ThingWorx implementations.

I also see this in the log snippet:

License file missing. It's expected at path : C:\ThingworxPlatform\license.bin

The file name in the log "license.bin" is a carry-over from previous versions of ThingWorx.  You will need to validate the file you downloaded was renamed to license_capability_response.bin.  It will not work if renamed to license.bin.

Please let me know if you continue to have issues.  If so, we will need to open a case to review in greater detail.

Regards.

--Sharon

asn
4-Participant
4-Participant

Hi,

Yes I did replace the actual device id with XXX to mask it. . And I did download separate license for this device ID and replaced it as "license_capability_response.bin" in the ThingworxPlatform folder .
However the same issue occurs.
smainente
16-Pearl

Maybe try the following :

1. Stop Tomcat
  2. Delete the content of C:\ProgramData\ptc_p (take a backup before)
  3. Restart Tomcat

asn
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:smainente)

Hi @smainente,

I tried as you suggested but the same error still occurs.

Thanks.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @asn.

I sent you a private message yesterday regarding opening a case for this.  Once we have resolved the issue, we can come back here to post the solution.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @asn.

The solution to the final licensing issue was to create a service account (Windows) with Administrator rights and reconfigure the Tomcat service to run under this account.

For the original issue, it would be helpful if you would mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may experience similar issues.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags