cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

scroll bar trouble in ptcs-grid on iPad

Yoshihiko.N
13-Aquamarine

scroll bar trouble in ptcs-grid on iPad

Dear Developers,

I'm using ptcs-grid widgets in some mashups which asssumed to be used with iPads.
if there are a lot of columns in grids, I expected to be able to see a horizontal scroll bar like the below.
however, we cannot see the scroll bar on all iPads.

Could you let me know how I can fix this trouble ?

I use chrome on both laptop and iPad.

the width of all columns are fixed.

screen shot of my laptop ( display mode : iPad landscape )

YoshihikoN_0-1655783157718.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Yoshihiko.N)

Hi @Yoshihiko.N.

Mobile devices don't necessarily handle scrolling the same way you expect to see it on a laptop/desktop.  Often, scrolling is available but no scrollbar appears until you begin to scroll and even then, it really depends on whether the developer chose to display scroll bars or not.  With today's technologies, it's expected that scrolling is available even without scrollbars.

In regard to the 9.2 version, you are using a Preview version of the widget.  ThingWorx 9.3 contains the updated grid widget with corrections to some of the issues discovered in the preview.  We can't say whether moving to Grid Advanced will resolve your issue, since we no nothing about your application.  You will need to test it.  If you do have problems, you will either need to develop your own widget or upgrade.  We just ran a simple test, but scrolling seemed to work fine on 9.3.

If you would like to make some suggestions regarding scrolling, please feel free to post your requests on the ThingWorx Ideas board.  This will allow others to vote for them.

Regards.

--Sharon  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Yoshihiko.N 

What version of ThingWorx are you running and what versions of iPadOS are your users running?

Even though a scrollbar doesn't appear, does it allow you to scroll?  It's typical on an iPad to be able to swipe without seeing a scrollbar.

Regards.

--Sharon

Yoshihiko.N
13-Aquamarine
(To:slangley)

Hi Slangley,

Thank you for your reply.
the followings are the answner.

Thingworx version : 9.2
IOS version : 15.5

Even though a scrollbar doesn't appear, does it allow you to scroll? 
we can scroll vertical direction though cannot scroll horizontal direction.

Thanks and Regards.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Yoshihiko.N

We tested on ThingWorx 9.3.2 and the horizontal scrolling worked.  Did you confirm there are columns outside of the visible area that you can scroll to?

it is possible that the new grid that was introduced in 9.3.0 as a replacement for the Grid Advanced was available in 9.2.x as a beta.  If so, there may have been further changes in 9.3.

Regards.

--Sharon

Yoshihiko.N
13-Aquamarine
(To:slangley)

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your reply and the following is my answer.

>Did you confirm there are columns outside of the visible area that you can scroll to?
Yes, I confirmed there are 7 columns in outside of the visible area on laptop.
however, we cannot scroll ( column direction) on iPad.

screen shot on laptop

YoshihikoN_1-1656543311185.png

screen shot on iPad

YoshihikoN_0-1656543212988.png

I'm using Grid(preview) not grid advance.

YoshihikoN_2-1656543404464.png

Thanks and Regards.

We are having the same issues with the new widget Grid (Preview) and its scrolling behaviour. Scrolls perfectly fine on laptops but on a tablet absolutely impossible to use. The grid is scrollable but very jumpy and user unfriendly (scrolls 50 rows down if you only scroll a little bit).

The old grid advanced scrolls also fine on tablets. However we cannot use grid advanced since we need the multi-select feature of the new grid (cannot multiselect with a ctrl key on a tablet) and also it will be deprecated soon...

ThingWorx should really look into taking the scrollbars from grid advanced to the new grid preview before deprecating grid advanced. 

Hi,

Thank you for your sharing.

if this issue have huge impact on our processes, we can solve this issue by changeing widget from Grid(Preview) to Grid(Advance)?
is it correct ?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Yoshihiko.N.

Mobile devices don't necessarily handle scrolling the same way you expect to see it on a laptop/desktop.  Often, scrolling is available but no scrollbar appears until you begin to scroll and even then, it really depends on whether the developer chose to display scroll bars or not.  With today's technologies, it's expected that scrolling is available even without scrollbars.

In regard to the 9.2 version, you are using a Preview version of the widget.  ThingWorx 9.3 contains the updated grid widget with corrections to some of the issues discovered in the preview.  We can't say whether moving to Grid Advanced will resolve your issue, since we no nothing about your application.  You will need to test it.  If you do have problems, you will either need to develop your own widget or upgrade.  We just ran a simple test, but scrolling seemed to work fine on 9.3.

If you would like to make some suggestions regarding scrolling, please feel free to post your requests on the ThingWorx Ideas board.  This will allow others to vote for them.

Regards.

--Sharon  

Top Tags