cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Microsoft surface pro

GregOlson
15-Moonstone

Microsoft surface pro

Our companies service tech are using Surface Pros in the field, any idea when they will be able to use Chalk on this platform? 

10 REPLIES 10
jmay1
5-Regular Member
(To:GregOlson)

I would also like to know this.

Hi @Greg and @jmay1 -- we currently do not have committed plans (next 6-12 months) for Surface Pro support for Chalk.

The primary reason is Surface Pro is a UWP device (Unified Windows Platform), which is a distinct platform from iOS and Android platforms. Therefore, we're currently lack the resources to support a 3rd platform.

We hope this changes in the future and it may change as there is a vision to support Microsoft Hololens and would be a logical starting point for supporting UWP-based devices.

I am curious - what is the reason your companies have elected to use Surface Pros in the field and do they plan on deploying a large number of them (i.e., arm 1,000 field technicians with Surface Pros)? This could also help me understand or see if there is a rationale that leads to a future trend of Surface Pro use by field technicians (that have a distinct advantage over iOS or Android-based devices).

Best,

Dan Hitomi
Product
GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:danhitomi)

Dan,

Our company has started to issue Surface Pros to sales and field service because they are small, lightweight and powerful.  In the past they were using Lenvo laptops and the change seems to be greatly embraced by the company.  They still have IPhones so they can use the Chalk app...but it would be nice in the future to be able to use a much larger device to interact...Like a surface pro.    Currently we are testing chalk on 30 users, if the test goes well we would expand to about 100 seats.

Greg

PDM Admin

MB Companies / ASH Group

Hi @GregOlson -- thanks for the additional context.

Our vision is to be device-agnostic and support as many devices as possible (smartphones, tablets and HMDs) - so this is informative. Let me know how the tests go and we can continue to discuss where we can work together to build-up a case for Surface Pro support.

Also, for what it's worth, we are working on a Desktop client for the Remote Expert - so this might be beneficial to you as well.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product
dirkd
3-Visitor

Hi,

I am also very interested in using Chalk with a Windows 10 device as we also using hybrid computers for our field service engineers and we have over 2000.

Do you have more information on the desktop client for the experts as we don't want to have extra devices for them as they are also using hybrid computers with Windows 10.

Thanks

Dirk

danhitomi
11-Garnet
(To:dirkd)

Hi @dirkd -- we're actively working on our Desktop client for Remote Experts as it is a top priority for the Chalk team.

I don't yet have any rough timelines but it's targeted as a CY2019 goal. Feel free to check-in during late Jan or Feb for a timeline update.

As for the Win 10-based devices -- I don't have any new updates here. However, UWP device support for Chalk is being discussed and a platform we'd like to support.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product

Any update on Desktop client for Remote Experts or UWP device support?

Yes - we're targeting a soft launch of Desktop client for Experts in Oct 2019 (FY20'Q1).

If you have any specific questions or would like to learn more - please send an email to mfaulconer@ptc.com and cc: me on it (dhitomi@ptc.com).

No new update for UWP device support, but it is still a goal for us.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product
Seth920
6-Contributor

Desktop is great! With the latest interest and promotions during Covid, has the development timeline added a possibility for Surface Pro devices since the last posting here in 2019?

tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:Seth920)

Hi @Seth920  Surface tablets are now supported for use with Chalk for Desktop.

Top Tags