cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

3D Model rotation in any angle any degree

Swapnil_More
14-Alexandrite

3D Model rotation in any angle any degree

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to rotate 3D model in any degree and any angle?

I am able to rotate model in 1 direction but i want to rotate model like a ball.

Regards,
Swapnil More
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'll try a non-snarky reply to this question.

I think what you are asking is that you want something like the spin operation used in many cad packages and games where you hold down a button and drag the model to rotate it about a viewport axis normal to your drag direction.

Unfortunately AFAIK there is no way to do this in View/Studio. There was a post a while back about how to implement swipe and drag gestures but I think those got mapped to JS functions and I'm not sure you could get what you want with them. And there is also the fundamental problem that Studio can only work about the model coordinate system and does not have a "view" csys. So you can rotate about your models x axis but there is no what to rotate around the viewports x, y or x axis.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Alessio
15-Moonstone
(To:Swapnil_More)

Hi!

can you please rephrase your question?

When you rotate a ball you actually rotate it in "1 direction" at any given time, you do not rotate it about multiple axes at the same time.

In the world we live in there is no such thing as rotation about multiple axes at the same time: rotation is a non commutative operation.

You can try  yourself at home: 1) stand up with your bed on our left, 2) turn left, 3) lean forward, 4) you end up on your bed face down.

I suggest that you do not try other commutations of the steps above. For example I do not suggest the following sequence: 1-3-2 as you most likely hurt yourself!

So, in which order you want to rotate your 3D model?

HTH

- Alessio

Swapnil_More
14-Alexandrite
(To:Alessio)

No i want to rotate model with one button or fingertip in any direction (not at a time)

Regards,
Swapnil More

I'll try a non-snarky reply to this question.

I think what you are asking is that you want something like the spin operation used in many cad packages and games where you hold down a button and drag the model to rotate it about a viewport axis normal to your drag direction.

Unfortunately AFAIK there is no way to do this in View/Studio. There was a post a while back about how to implement swipe and drag gestures but I think those got mapped to JS functions and I'm not sure you could get what you want with them. And there is also the fundamental problem that Studio can only work about the model coordinate system and does not have a "view" csys. So you can rotate about your models x axis but there is no what to rotate around the viewports x, y or x axis.

Swapnil_More
14-Alexandrite
(To:jmikesell)

Thank you for Information.

Regards,
Swapnil More
Top Tags